Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

improvements in Automatic Dialect Switching documentation in NVDA User Guide #4503

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 29, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-09-29 17:04
An exerpt from the NVDA User Guide.
Automatic Dialect switching
If automatic language switching is turned on, this checkbox allows you to toggle whether or not dialect changes should be made, rather than just actual language changes. E.g. If reading in an English U.S. voice but a document states some text is in English U.K. then if this feature is enabled the synthesizer will switch accents. This option is disabled by default.
1 'English U.S. voice but a document' According to me, there should be a comma after voice and but should be changed into and, since the two statements denote a situation, and no contradiction.
2 'a document states some text is in English U.K.' I feel that it should be reworded as 'a document contains some English U.K. text'
3 'then if this feature is enabled the synthesizer will switch accents. ' I feel that it would sound better if it was reworded as ' then the speech synthesizer will switch accents if this feature is enabled'
I know that these are very minor things, but still... I am suggesting what sounds better to me, my opinions.
Hop[Hope I was clear enough

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by blindbhavya on 2014-09-29 17:13
Hi.
Another improvement:
'If automatic language switching is turned on, this checkbox allows you to toggle whether or not'
My comment:
'If automatic language switching is turned on, this' : I feel that 'If automatic language switching is turned on, ' should be removed and the 't' in 'this' should be capitalized.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2014-09-30 01:50
Replying to blindbhavya:

1 'English U.S. voice but a document' According to me, there should be a comma after voice and but should be changed into and, since the two statements denote a situation, and no contradiction.

First, it's generally considered incorrect to put a comma here, especially if you're changing "but" to "and". Second, it can be argued that there is a contradiction: the current voice is one thing, but the content suggests another. We could change it, but there's no grammatical error in the current text.

2 'a document states some text is in English U.K.' I feel that it should be reworded as 'a document contains some English U.K. text'

This would not be correct. Even if a document contains text in a specific language, NVDA won't know this unless the document explicitly specifies that the text is in that language.

3 'then if this feature is enabled the synthesizer will switch accents. ' I feel that it would sound better if it was reworded as ' then the speech synthesizer will switch accents if this feature is enabled'

If i were writing it, I'd probably agree, but there's no actual error and this alone is too trivial a concern to warrant changing it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-09-30 01:51
Replying to blindbhavya:

'If automatic language switching is turned on, this' : I feel that 'If automatic language switching is turned on, ' should be removed and the 't' in 'this' should be capitalized.

Agreed; this part of the sentence is contradictory.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2014.4

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-10-08 05:25
In [986953b]:

User Guide: Linguistic fixes/tweaks.

Fixes #4502, #4503, #4515, #4517, #4523, #4524, #4526.

Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants