Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

improvements in Punctuation/Symbol documentation in User Guide #4504

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 29, 2014 · 9 comments
Open

improvements in Punctuation/Symbol documentation in User Guide #4504

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 29, 2014 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-09-29 17:10
An exerpt from the User Guide is below:
Punctuation/Symbol Level
Key: NVDA+p
This allows you to choose the amount of punctuation and other symbols that should be spoken as words. For example, when set to all, all symbols will be spoken as words. This option applies to all synthesizers, not just the currently active synthesizer.
In my opinion, it would sound better if it were to be reworded as
Punctuation/Symbol Level
Key: NVDA+p
This combo box allows you to choose the amount of punctuation and other symbols that should be spoken as words. For example, when set to all, all symbols will be spoken as words. This option applies to all synthesizers, not just the currently active synthesizer.
Note: You may customize the different punctuation/symbol levels to include the punctuation and symbols of your choice through the Punctuation/Symbol Pronunciation dialog under the Preferences submenu about which you will know more in an upcoming section of the User Guide.
You may reword the note, to make it brief and concise, but in my opinion that point should be made.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2014-09-30 01:58
Replying to blindbhavya:

This combo box

If you use the key (NVDA+p), you're not using a combo box. This paragraph is meant to apply to both the combo box and the key command, so the combo box should not be explicitly mentioned.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to next

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-09-30 03:41
Ok, thanks for pointing that out.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the next milestone Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the next milestone Jun 24, 2016
@bhavyashah
Copy link

CC @jcsteh

@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@josephsl I think you wanted to make some improvements to the userguide. Are you still planning to do it? Or should I raise a pull request and include this small note to chapter 11.1.2 to the punctuation?

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jan 4, 2019 via email

@Qchristensen
Copy link

As Joseph indicated, Emojis should also be mentioned in this section of the user guide, in particular, that the punctuation / symbol level needs to be set to "Some" or higher to hear them.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@Adriani90 You seemed to indicate interest in raising a pull request for this ticket in #4504 (comment). Gently pinging you for updates.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@Qchristensen my understanding is that emojis are always spoken, irespective of the symbol level. Is this correct?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Emoji's are set to symbol level "none" so yes they are always spoken. (You could change it in the punctuation / symbol pronunciation dialog, but you'd need to do it for all emoji).

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants