Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

improvement in 1. Introduction documentation #4512

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2014 · 4 comments
Closed

improvement in 1. Introduction documentation #4512

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-10-01 12:29
Following is an exerpt taken from a section of the NVDA User Guide:

1. Introduction
    NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) is a free and open source screen reader for the Microsoft Windows operating system. Providing feedback via synthetic speech and Braille, it enables blind or vision impaired people to access computers running Windows for no more cost than a sighted person. NVDA is developed by NV Access, with contributions from the community.
    Comments:
    1 'operating system. Providing feedback via synthetic'
    I am not sure if the English is incorrect, but in my views, 'By' should be added before 'Providing' and the 'P' in 'Providing' should be changed into lower case.
    2 'developed by NV Access, with'
    Well, this one is just a suggestion... So there could be the following text after 'NV Access'
    ', an Australian based charity' (or something similarly worded)
    So, the line should change into 'developed by NV Access, an Australian based charity with'
    3 'contributions from the community. '
    Well, the word 'contributions' in an ambiguous term, does it mean financial contribution or code contribution? Also, whom are you referring to by 'community'? Now I am quite involved in NVDA related discussions and all that, but for beginners, 'community' may not explain exactly what needs to be conveyed. I can't think of a possible clearer alternative now, but perhaps someone may come up with one?
    Hope I was clear and detailed enough.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2014-10-02 06:01
Replying to blindbhavya:

1 'operating system. Providing feedback via synthetic'

I am not sure if the English is incorrect, but in my views, 'By' should be added before 'Providing' and the 'P' in 'Providing' should be changed into lower case.

The existing sentence is correct and I see no need to change it.

2 'developed by NV Access, with'

Well, this one is just a suggestion... So there could be the following text after 'NV Access'

', an Australian based charity' (or something similarly worded)

I don't see any need for this. It might make sense to make this clear in promotional material, but the User Guide isn't promotional material. Furthermore, NV Access is a link, so a reader can easily learn more about the organisation.

3 'contributions from the community. '

Well, the word 'contributions' in an ambiguous term, does it mean financial contribution or code contribution? Also, whom are you referring to by 'community'?

It's intentionally broad. it includes finance, code, translation, helping other users, testing, etc. Similarly, community is intentionally broad. All "beginners" need to understand is that anyone can get involved, which the term "community" suggests.
Changes:
Added labels: wontfix
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-10-02 07:26
Ok.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by dhankuta on 2014-10-03 07:05
Hi Jamie,
Not much sure, but in my opinion perhaps the following phrase need a review.
"Providing feedback via synthetic speech"
Does the word 'synthetic 'reflect all cases? What about the vocalized speech?
Is it not better to say,
"Providing feedback via Text To Speech..."

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-10-03 07:18
I'd argue it's still synthetic. Sampled voices are still called speech synthesisers and synthetic just means that it was synthesised. The voice is still generated from samples by a computer, rather than it just playing a recording.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant