Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

improvement in 1.1. General Features documentation #4513

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2014 · 4 comments
Closed

improvement in 1.1. General Features documentation #4513

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 1, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-10-01 12:30
Following is an incorrect line documented in the 1.1. General Features section of the User Guide:
'• Built-in speech synthesizer supporting over 43 languages'
Currently, if I counted correctly, in the Voices combo box in the Voice Settings dialog, there are 84 languages to choose from. I guess this portion of reflects old information, a time when ESpeak supported 43 languages.
Also, the term 'over' shouldn't be used in my opinion, lets be exact, accurate and precise.
Also, as newer versions of ESpeak are merged into NVDA, and ESpeak supports more languages, the number here should be increased.
Hope I was clear and detailed enough.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh (in reply to comment description) on 2014-10-02 06:05
Replying to blindbhavya:

'• Built-in speech synthesizer supporting over 43 languages'

Currently, if I counted correctly, in the Voices combo box in the Voice Settings dialog, there are 84 languages to choose from. I guess this portion of reflects old information, a time when ESpeak supported 43 languages.

Many of these are highly experimental and not really ready for daily usage. However, users have requested that they remain. Still, including them in the count suggests they are fully supported, which is somewhat misleading.

Also, the term 'over' shouldn't be used in my opinion, lets be exact, accurate and precise.

That would require that we check this count every time we update eSpeak. Being precise here is hardly important. Furthermore, this would mean translators have to update this every time it changed as well. That said, it'd probably make more sense to round the number (e.g. over 40), rather than "over 43".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-10-02 07:22

Many of these are highly experimental and not really ready for daily usage. However, users have requested that they remain. Still, including them in the count suggests they are fully supported, which is somewhat misleading.

In the count, we aren't specifying fully supported languages. We are only specifying the number of languages supported by ESpeak. In my opinion, Hindi (which is a supposedly fully supported language) and Gujarati (which is in testing) have equal amount of flaws in them, and if you are still not convinced then it could be supports 84 languages (x languages in development stage) or something like that.

That would require that we check this count every time we update eSpeak. Being precise here is hardly important. Furthermore, this would mean translators have to update this every time it changed as well. That said, it'd probably make more sense to round the number (e.g. over 40), rather than "over 43".

It shouldn't be that much of a problem, checking and updating the count and updating the translation.
These are my thoughts...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-02-02 06:04
In [2e445c5]:

User Guide: Minor fixes.

Fixes #4506, #4513, #3775, #4176, #4123.

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2015-02-02 06:05
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant