Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA Reads Extra Blank Lines on Some Web Pages with Firefox 33 and screen layout disabled #4568

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Oct 22, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dgoldfield on 2014-10-22 15:49
When using up/down arrow keys on Web pages with Firefox 33, I am hearing NVDA read extra blank lines where there weren't with prior versions of Firefox.
Steps to reproduce:

1. With Firefox 33, go to the NVDA home page at www.nvaccess.org.
  2. Go to the News heading.
  3. If you press the down arrow key to move line by line, you will hear extra blank lines after each link.

If you go to the same page with earlier versions of Firefox, you will not encounter these blank lines.
This new issue does not just occur on the NVDA Web site. However, your site is an example of where you will encounter them.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mohammed on 2014-10-22 16:32
do you have "use screen layout" set to on or off? that makes the difference that you're hearing.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by dgoldfield on 2014-10-22 16:47
Screen layout mode is turned off in the case of Firefox 33 and older versions of Firefox. I always disable this setting as my default preference.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2014-10-22 22:32
Firefox seems to be exposing spaces at the start of the list items on that page now that weren't there before. I'll need to track this down with Mozilla.

It'd be great if you could confirm that other cases in lists as well. If they aren't, I'll need details on how to reproduce other instances of this issue.
Changes:
Changed title from "NVDA Reads Extra Blank Lines on Some Web Pages with Firefox 33" to "NVDA Reads Extra Blank Lines on Some Web Pages with Firefox 33 and screen layout disabled"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by dgoldfield on 2014-10-23 14:19
I believe you are correct when you say that the problem occurs within lists. I initially didn't pick up on that as I keep the announcements of list start and end messages disabled in document preferences. I see this on Linkedin in the section where it reports when one of your current connections establishes a new connection. There is a "list of 1 item" near the name of the new connection and NVDA reads a blank line at that point with screen layout mode disabled.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-10-24 01:51
This is due to an (IMO undesirable) change in Firefox. Filed MozillaBug:1088467.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2014-10-26 23:01
Fixed in Firefox 36.0a1 (2014-10-26).

The fix was also uplifted to Firefox 34 and 35.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant