Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA Find dialog: if a next occurence of the entered text is not found, ask the user if they would like to begin searching from the top #4637

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 20, 2014 · 23 comments
Labels
component/NVDA-GUI feature good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute z goodForNewDev (archived)

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-11-20 19:46
In webpages wit lots of text, or in situations where I begin using the NVDA Find dialog when in the middle of a webpage, and while searching for next occurences of the entered text, and I reach the last occurence, I need to press Ctrl Home to jump back to the beginning of the document, and start searching again/.
It would be nice if NVDA would when a person attempts to find next occurence when already on the last occurence display a dialog asking the user whether they wish to begin searching again from the top. Also, that is the way most other applications' Find dialogs work.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I hope the UX and scope of this ticket is clear, and if not, I would be happy to elucidate. Any thoughts on what priority this feature request deserves? @feerrenrut

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

This seems pretty clear. Going to label this as a feature. At this point we are not giving features priority (see the wiki) instead we will try to group them into a project that makes sense. That said this seems like it would be a good feature for a new developer / contributor to take on.

@bhavyashah

This comment was marked as resolved.

@feerrenrut

@bhavyashah

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This would be a great feature.
cc: @josephsl

@aaclause
Copy link
Contributor

I'd like to try implement this in some days.
@josephsl are you already on this or I can tackle it?
Thanks

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jan 10, 2019 via email

@PratikP1
Copy link

PratikP1 commented Jan 10, 2019 via email

@aaclause
Copy link
Contributor

aaclause commented Jan 10, 2019

@PratikP1 I agree with you. Even currently I find
that is annoying when there's no more result.
I'd rather have a flash message (instead of a dialog box) that just says:

Text "foo bar" not found

Other opinions?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@PratikP1, I also like your idea. But a tooltipp message should be reported by NVDA that the search starts again from the top of the document.

I think your Suggestion should be the Standard behavior and should not be an optional Setting. This is how it works in MS Word and other programs as well. We don't want to end in a situations where we must enable or disable every trivial thinkg through an Option. I think most users would agree with the behavior that the search should start automatically from the top, as Long as there is a short message reported by NVDA.

@lukaszgo1
Copy link
Contributor

Converting dialog to flash message is covered by #7422. Regarding automatically wrapping searches to top when the string isn't found it might be useful for some, but it definitely need to be configurable. The current behavior allows me to for instance move to the last occurence of the string with NVDA+F3 then pressing it one more time to ensure that I am where I want to be and start navigating from there on some specific web pages, and I really don't want to lose this only because Word implements it differently.

@DrSooom
Copy link

DrSooom commented Oct 3, 2019

Is it possible to add a beep tone if no further result could be found and only if you press NVDA+F3 or NVDA+Shift+F3 again it will then jump to the first/last result? This is currently the method how the default object navigation (swipe one finger to the left/right) in TalkBack on Android 9 works.

@Gene703122
Copy link

A feature like this should not be on by default. It should also be user definable. What if I've been to a page before and I know I am looking for the last occurrence? If I look for the last occurrence, I'll loose my place unless I read the current line of every occurrence found while I search or I micromanage a site by remembering that on site A, I have to repeat a search four times, on site B, I have to repeat a search six times, it very quickly becomes ridiculous.

If there is concern that people will want to change this behavior and won't know that it can be or how, then have a first use dialog that tells people where to find the information in the user guide or have something come up explaining that the behavior can be changed, a link to find more information such as to a section in the User Guide and a do not show me this again check box. But restricting users' freedom to customize the screen-reader when dealing with a feature that radically changes an operation is just bad policy.

@seanbudd seanbudd added the good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute label Apr 30, 2021
@DSkyNC
Copy link

DSkyNC commented Oct 27, 2021

Hello is this issue still occuring ? Any news ?

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

yes problem still occurs, i vote in favor of implementing this solution, ask the user if they want to search from the beginning

@DSkyNC

This comment was marked as off-topic.

@feerrenrut

theobourgougnon added a commit to theobourgougnon/nvda that referenced this issue Mar 27, 2022
@DSkyNC
Copy link

DSkyNC commented Mar 29, 2022

Hello, I have a question and I was wondering why there is a NVDA search dialog when in most cases we have a search box implemented in the browser for example. What is the difference and what is the point?

I asked a friend who uses NVDA in everyday life and he told me that the reason is that sometimes the command to access a search box is different from CTRL+F. I also noticed that when I use the search boxes implemented in browsers, and I find results, NVDA tells me for example "Result 1 of 1" but doesn't read the result found so ok "result 1 of 1" is cool but what did you find?
(There must be a way to do this but I'm not very familiar with NVDA and the associated commands) While NVDA's search box does this, when it finds a result, it reads it to me immediately.

But could there be another reason for NVDA to provide its own search dialog?

@DrSooom
Copy link

DrSooom commented Mar 30, 2022

The reason is called "Virtual Buffer" respectively "Virtual Document". For more information please take a look at the chapter "6. Browse Mode" in the NVDA User Guide.

@DSkyNC
Copy link

DSkyNC commented Mar 30, 2022

The reason is called "Virtual Buffer" respectively "Virtual Document". For more information please take a look at the chapter "6. Browse Mode" in the NVDA User Guide.

Ok, thank you! i'll take a look.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

The issue with such a dialog is that NVDA has to go out of the browse mode document to display it and the focus is redirected to the dialog. After dismissing the dialog, the virtual cursor is often not located at the same position in the document. Sometimes NVDA freezes for more than 30 seconds until you can navigate again in browse mode. This can be reproduced in some large pdf documents when opening them in the browser and using the NVDA find feature.

@XLTechie
Copy link
Contributor

@Adriani90 how large does a PDF document need to be to replicate what you describe in #4637 (comment)? I would like to try to observe this in action.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
component/NVDA-GUI feature good first issue github features these at https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/contribute z goodForNewDev (archived)
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests