Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA sometimes tries to auto-read an entire skype chat #4644

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 27, 2014 · 7 comments
Closed

NVDA sometimes tries to auto-read an entire skype chat #4644

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 27, 2014 · 7 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Simon818 on 2014-11-27 00:00
This seems to only happen in large chats with a lot of messages, and is difficult to reproduce accurately, but having several hundred messages thrown at NVDA at one time can often lock it up for several seconds at a time. It often happens to me after I reopen a chat and more than a few new messages have come in. I realize this is sort of vague, so if there's anything I can do to log this better and send results in, I'll do it. But it is a definite problem for people who participate in big group chats, and it has happened to other people I know as well.
I'm not exactly sure how to categorize this, so I'm going to let someone more knowledgeable about NVDA's construction take care of that.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by Simon818 on 2014-11-27 00:02
In more simple terms, the result of this problem is hearing the entire contents of the chat list, from the start, and having NVDA lock up for a moment before I'm able to do anything else, including stop speech.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-11-30 19:56
This would suggest that the message which was the last message when the chat opened is no longer present when the screen next updates. I don't know why this would occur, though the fix for #3616 might fix this. Regardless, it probably makes sense to avoid reading new messages if there are more than, say, 10 in a single update, as reading this many just isn't useful.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Simon818 on 2014-11-30 20:12
Yeah, I can't quite figure out what causes it to lose its place, but I host a pretty big skype call out of my living room and it sometimes gets a lot of messages, so I've taken to toggling speech off and scrolling to the bottom to make sure this doesn't generate a ton of spoken events. Regardless, the message limit was what I was going to suggest. It seems like reading only the last 10 is a pretty workable solution, and it's doubtful that this many would come in at once. If they do, perhaps there could be a message spoken saying "xxx lines were skipped".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-19 12:09
In [d9e88f7]:

NVDA should no longer occasionally spuriously read a large flood of Skype messages (perhaps even an entire conversation).

Re #4644.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-22 06:53
In [dea0a6c]:

Merge branch 'skypeChanges' into next: major improvements for Skype, but requires Skype 7.

Incubates #4218, #3210, #3506, #3616, #4644, #4741.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-27 03:15
In [f0e53a2]:

Major fixes and enhancements to support for Skype for Desktop, including support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2015-01-27 03:18
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…kype messages (perhaps even an entire conversation).

Re #4644.
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…ing support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) bug
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants