Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

focus jumps to the NVDA window when an item is pressed in the Elements list dialog #4648

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 29, 2014 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-11-29 09:03
Hi,
This is a very strange issue.
What happens is that when any item is hit Enter on in the Elements dialog, instead of remaining in the same document from where the link/heading/item was obtained, the item does get activated, but focus jumps to the NVDA window.
ALso, why is there sometimes an NVDA window (a window is that what comes n the way while Alt Tabbing) and sometimes not?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2014-11-29 09:12
Does this occur in all html screens on all browsers? Are you sure the window you see is not some artifact of the win 7 theme? I'm told these transparent windows that block access can be removed by using the classic theme rather than the windows 7 theme, but have not actually tried it yet.
It would be helpful if you could go through exactly what you need to do to duplicate the issue including what pages and what software etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-11-29 12:17
Hi,
I again wasn't as detailed enough before reporting this issue, this is not specific to the Elements List dialog actually, but with all NVDA dialogs (currently tested with Elements List, General Settings, Voice Settings and Browse Mode)
Steps to reproduce
Ensure that NVDA 2014.4 stable is running.
Press NVDA Ctrl V (for VOice Settings as an example) in any situation, and without necessarily making any changes in the Voice Settings, press Escape and your focus will move to the NVDA window.
one more thing, since this NVDA window is staying permanently, can I do something to run from the System Tray and not appear as a window? Has this feature request already been covered in another ticket or something?
Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by blindbhavya on 2014-11-30 06:00
One more update.
I have restarted my computer, and now there is no NVDA window, so focus doesn't jump to the wrong place.
Question Why is there sometimes an NVDA window and sometimes not?
I guess this issue is based on the above question.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-11-30 20:11
The NVDA window is never supposed to be visible. For technical reasons, we need it, but it should never be visible. In some rare circumstances, this used to become visible, but we worked around this some time ago. It is therefore rather concerning that you're seeing this.

Can you reproduce this at all now? Are you running any add-ons or other software that might be interfering with NVDA's GUI?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by nvdakor on 2014-11-30 22:04
Hi,
A few more questions:

• Does NVDA window appear when you restart NVDA? If it appears every time NVDA restarts, what happens if you restart with add-ons disabled?
  • Is this specific to a particular version of Windows? I ask because I've seen this when using Windows 7.
    Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by blindbhavya on 2014-12-01 12:58
Hi,
No, the NVDA window doesn't appear everytime, in fact its appearance is rare, but when it does appear, it certainly is there.
Yes, I am using Windows 7 32 bit, and I have only used different Windows 7 32 bits, such as Ultimate and Starter, currently I am talking about Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit.
I am using the following add-ons:
List of systray and taskbar elements version 1.4
Insert Symbols version 1.0
Enhancement of Poedit Access version 3.3
Ocr version 0.2....
NV Speech Player version Master
Dropbox version 3.1
ClipText Manager 1.0 dev
Could any of the above be the culprit?
When I next encounter the NVDA window, this is what I'll do;
Restart NVDA
If the window still appears, restart with add-ons disabled.
If the NVDA window still appears then I'll report here.
Are the above the correct steps to take?
Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by bhavyashah on 2015-01-31 05:38
Hi,
Today, I encountered the NVDA window, and the focus jumping from Elements List to NVDA window issue once again.
I restarted NVDA (without add-ons disabled) and the window disappeared.
Thanks.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jul 27, 2017

I have not seen this problem in a very long time using Windows 10 or 8.1. @bhavyashah, are you still experiencing this problem on occasion or does it still happen on Windows 7? CC @jcsteh for any technical input.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Jul 27, 2017 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants