Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Braille settings key shortcut #465

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments
Closed

Braille settings key shortcut #465

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Agent Golder on 2009-11-07 10:33
I modified DefaultLaptop.kbd by adding:
"Control+NVDA+x=activateBrailleSettingsDialog" but nothing happened.
How do you tell it to add a new key combination for something?
Blocked by #4898

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2009-11-07 10:40
Unfortunately, you need to modify the source code to introduce this feature.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Agent Golder on 2009-11-07 14:44
So can you modify it for me?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment Shortcut_BrailleSettings.patch added by Bernd on 2012-06-12 16:05
Description:
shortcut for BrailleSettings

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by MHameed on 2014-08-27 08:06
Hi Jamie/Mick,

When one of you have some time could you please outline what is outstanding for this ticket?
We have users that need access to the dialog, but NVDA does not provide this at the moment, so an addon has been written. I really would like to see this addressed in NVDA directly, partly because it adds considerable overhead to administer/translate an addon in comparison with the required functionality.

I understand that it is a judgement call for what we think people might need quick access to.
Consider a multilingual person wanting to quickly switch between multiple braille input tables or some other setting in this dialog.
We should not discriminate between dialogs, either they all have shortcut keys, or none of them should.
Maybe a reasonable compromize would be to add an unbound gesture, and for those that need it they can assign it accordingly.

Thanks,
Mesar

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh (in reply to comment 3) on 2014-08-27 09:05
Replying to MHameed:

When one of you have some time could you please outline what is outstanding for this ticket?

Actually, I didn't realise a patch had been provided. My only concern is the key. I understand it's trying to conform with the NVDA+control+ prefix shared by all other dialog shortcuts, but braille should be easy to remember and x isn't. Perhaps NVDA+control+shift+b?

I understand that it is a judgement call for what we think people might need quick access to.

Consider a multilingual person wanting to quickly switch between multiple braille input tables or some other setting in this dialog.

For this reason and others, I agree this dialog probably does need a shortcut. Speech dialogs have one after all.

We should not discriminate between dialogs, either they all have shortcut keys, or none of them should.

That's a highly flawed argument. That's like saying that if one function in an application has a shortcut key, all of them should or none of them should. In reality, that is never the case, not least because there simply aren't enough keys for everything to have a shortcut. Shortcut keys are always assigned based on the frequency with which something is likely to need immediate access.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by dave090679 on 2015-06-11 06:36
I think since you can assign shortcut keys to all dialog boxes of NVDA, this ticket can be closed using #4898

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by leonarddr on 2015-06-11 06:56
This is fixed in #4898 indeed. For future refference, it might be good to add that ticket to the blocked by field.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant