Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

support Microsoft Office Publisher #4653

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 30, 2014 · 10 comments
Open

support Microsoft Office Publisher #4653

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Nov 30, 2014 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by blindbhavya on 2014-11-30 12:17
Hi,
NVDA does not support Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 well enough to be usable, thats the very first impressions I have got, because of the following inaccessible parts:
Open a blank Microsoft Office Publisher 2007 file, and Tab around. In some palces, NVDA won't read anything on a Tab.
JAWS, does read those though, which are the Close Catalog button, Geting Started button, and some other things.
Please make nVDA support Microsoft Office publisher as well, especially since in the last few versions you guys have greatly enhanced accessibility for other Microsoft Office applications.
By the way, there may be other parts of this program that mya be inaccessible, please someone investigate.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2014-11-30 17:50
Hi,
Before we go further, we need to know use case for Publisher. If there is an absolute need for Publisher due to its features, then I'd say we go ahead and do something. If it is requested purely out of lack of accessibility and to keep up with enhanced support for Office applications, then I think this should not be prioritized. There are other programs in Office suites and packages from other Office suites that needs our attention at the moment (chief among them are Writer, Calc and Impress in OpenOffice and LibreOffice).
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by blindbhavya on 2014-11-30 17:54
Hi,
I had opened Publisher right now because I had to create some sort of advertisement as a project, or some sort of visiting card, on a product I had to make up, and I had heard and known that Publisher was used for it. Though I still completed my job for today with JAWS, I thought of bringing this to the attention of the NVDA devs, just in case I got a similar project to do in the future as well.
Also, priorities is what people like you, NVDA developers assign to different things, I have only provided a use case.
Thanks

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor on 2014-11-30 18:03
Hi,
For small projects like those, Publisher may not be the solution. You can easily create greeting cards and others using Word. Nevertheless, let's wait for opinions from devs.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by blindbhavya on 2014-12-01 16:15
Hmm, thanks for that piece of information.
I may not be active on this ticket, because my use of Publisher is over for now.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@bhaviahshah are you still having this issue?

@DrSooom
Copy link

DrSooom commented Dec 18, 2019

The elements on a page are still fully inaccessible with NVDA 2019.2.1 and Microsoft Publisher 2010 on Win7x64. And the Mouse Tracking only reads the complete line through the total length of a page, even if their content is part of separate text fields, which aren't linked together.

@ollcayy
Copy link

ollcayy commented May 25, 2020

I have a project in my company that requires the use of publishers on office 365.
I need to create the text content of a project along with its baselines. The progress of my other teammates depends entirely on this. When it is finished, the project brochure that the agency has been waiting for from us will have appeared. Reading the text content on the page, however, NVDA with the Keyboard does not allow navigating the content, does not read the texts or is not aware of the changes.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @Qchristensen, @feerrenrut maybe you can have a look on this, if the time permits. In corporate environments publisher is quite common software. Were there any conversations with Microsoft on this program sofar?

@ollcayy
Copy link

ollcayy commented May 25, 2020 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented May 25, 2020 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

6 participants