Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

make switching between synthisizers easier #4679

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 10, 2014 · 4 comments
Closed

make switching between synthisizers easier #4679

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 10, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mohammed on 2014-12-10 07:11
Hi.

those of us who have to use more than one synthesizer a lot would appreciate making switching between 2 synthesizers easier. I propose one of the following as a solution:

1. include Synthesizer in the synth settings ring.
  2. the ability to hide unused synthesizers from the synthisizer list (NVDA +ctrl +s)
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-12-10 07:23
Why would including synthesiser in the settings ring make it easier? That involves having to cursor to synthesiser in the ring, which could actually be a lot slower than just hitting NVDA+control+s. Even if you're already on the synthesiser setting in the ring, it's still only two less keystrokes and you can't use first letter navigation to speed up the selection process.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mohammed on 2014-12-10 08:04
the synth ring remembers the current setting that you have changed. if you frequently change synth then it's just one shortcut away NVDA +shift +ctrl +down or up arrow

there's one third undesirable solution that involves creating yet a new key combination. I already found some unofficial addon to do just that, which I tweaked a little. here's the code for anyone interested:

import config
synth1 = config.conf['speech']['synth'] # 'eSpeak'
synth2 = 'vocalizer_expressive'

import globalPluginHandler
import ui
import globalVars
import synthDriverHandler

class GlobalPlugin(globalPluginHandler.GlobalPlugin):
    def script_toggleSynth(self, gesture):
        synth = synthDriverHandler.getSynth()
        if synth.name == synth1:
            synthDriverHandler.setSynth(synth2)
        else:
            synthDriverHandler.setSynth(synth1)
        ui.message(synthDriverHandler.getSynth().name)

__gestures = {
    "kb:NVDA+shift+l":"toggleSynth",
}

thank you.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

For the synthesizer in the settings ring part, this is a duplicate of #2590. Leaving it open due to the second idea.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Actually, I can't see a use case for having synthesizers hidden in the synthesizer dialog, since it allows first letter navigation as @jcsteh pointed out. Closing as duplicate for the first issue and a won't fix for the second one. But, feel free to provide a valid use case for the latter and we can consider reopening.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants