Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Word 2013: Ribbons not announced when accessed via shortcut keys #4683

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 11, 2014 · 6 comments
Closed

Word 2013: Ribbons not announced when accessed via shortcut keys #4683

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 11, 2014 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by netblue on 2014-12-11 14:40
High all, when moving to the file menus or ribbons such as insert, design, start and others in word 2013 with the short cut keys NVDA does not announce the name of the menu, and it only says the elements when the arrow keys are pressed. I made a fresh install of office 2013 to make shore that it was not my configurations of word are the culprits. Also note that in PowerPoint an excel Nvda announces the ribbon names when the short cut keys are used.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-12-11 23:05
What happens if you:

1. Start Word.
  2. Press alt by itself twice.
  3. Then try using ribbon shortcuts.
    There is an issue with Word where the first time the ribbon opens, it is not accessible.
    Changes:
    Changed title from "Regressions in Nvda" to "Word 2013: Ribbons not announced when accessed via shortcut keys"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by netblue (in reply to comment 1) on 2014-12-11 23:46
Replying to jteh:

What happens if you:

1. Start Word.

There is an issue with Word where the first time the ribbon opens, it is not accessible.

When I press just the alt key once nvda reads the ribbon fine in this kase the start ribbon and when pressed again it takes me back to the document. However nvda still does not read the ribbons when using the short cut keys.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by nvdakor (in reply to comment 2) on 2014-12-11 23:53
Replying to netblue:

Replying to jteh:

What happens if you:

1. Start Word.

When I press just the alt key once nvda reads the ribbon fine in this kase the start ribbon and when pressed again it takes me back to the document. However nvda still does not read the ribbons when using the short cut keys.

I can hear NVDA announce shortcut keys when I try it in Word 2013. Did you happen to uncheck announce shortcut keys option in object presentation dialog?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by netblue (in reply to comment 3) on 2014-12-14 11:23
Replying to nvdakor:

Replying to netblue:

Replying to jteh:

What happens if you:

1. Start Word.

I can hear NVDA announce shortcut keys when I try it in Word 2013. Did you happen to uncheck announce shortcut keys option in object presentation dialog?

The problem is that NVDA does not announced the names of the ribbons when going to them with there shortcut keys. As you knoe NVDA reads the shortcut keys just fine when you open the menu with alt and move thru them with the arrow keys.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

bhavyashah commented Sep 30, 2017

Using Word 2010 and NVDA 2017.3 on a Windows 8.1 system, I was unable to reproduce the reported issue via the following STR:

• Open a blank Word document.
  • Press Alt+N to navigate to the Insert Tab.
    Expected and Actual Result: NVDA reports the Insert Tab as part of the Word ribbon along with its keyboard shortcut, i.e. "Ribbon Tabs tab control
    Insert tab selected Alt, N"

Since the ticket body explicitly mentions Insert (I assume Tab) as a test case, something that is unable to yield any odd results at my end, I can safely say that if my inference of the reporter's description of the issue is correct, then this bug probably no longer exists. However, there are two things that need to be noted before we consider closing this ticket:

• This ticket was originally reported with Word 2013, while my tests have been conducted with Word 2010. It is important that we double-check the reported issue with the version of the software this ticket was actually filed with regards to.
  • I am simply assuming, out of generality, that Alt+F takes a user to the File menu in Word just like it does in a standard application. However, I do recognize that Word has ribbons and lacks the standard menu bar. Regardless, if Alt+F is indeed taking me to a File menu in Word, then I must report that upon pressing Alt+F in a blank Word document in case of Word 2010, NVDA says "Save Save Alt, F, S" without acknowledgeing any File menu or menu/ribbon at all. Is this a valid issue, and possibly what netblue was trying to convey in the first place? CC @Qchristensen

@netblue44
Copy link

netblue44 commented Oct 1, 2017 via email

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Ok, I can confirm in Office 2007, 2013 and 2016 that the Insert ribbon is identified when you press alt+n, as are other ribbons.

The "File menu" has been an odd beast in Office since they brought ribbons in. In Office 2007, there is no "file" label - everyone just called it that. Visually it is a circle with the "office logo" and navigating to it (eg press alt, then left arrow) reports it as "office button". In later versions of Word, it is back to a text label reading "file", although this isn't announced when you press alt+f, and in Office 2016, when you get into the file menu, it becomes full screen and the original "file" ribbon label isn't visible at all.

My inclination is to close this as the original issue of the insert etc ribbons not reading is now working for everyone. The file menu is a bit different, but then it is for everyone.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants