Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

announce zooming in or out in Firefox #4688

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 13, 2014 · 4 comments
Open

announce zooming in or out in Firefox #4688

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 13, 2014 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bhavyashah on 2014-12-13 09:43
Though quite trivial, just a suggestion.
A user can press Ctrl + Shift + = to zoom in and Ctrl + Shift + - to zoom out. This change isn't immediately obvious to a screen reader user.
I felt its need once when I needed to modify this to suit another person (sighted, but only in one eye).
If other Firefox users have suggestions for other announcements that NVDA should make for common actions, then rather than filing a separate ticket, this ticket could be used?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-12-14 22:41
We need a way to detect that the action actually occurred rather than saying it always. Also, I think this only makes sense if we actually announce the new zoom level.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by bhavyashah on 2014-12-15 18:08
Hi,
Yes, perhaps I was unclear.
I too was asking for the announcement of the new zoom level, rather than just whether it zoomed in or out (which would be quite pointless).

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh is this something which could be sent from Firefox maybe as sort of notification to NVDA?

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jan 10, 2019

Perhaps. The problem is that there's no generic way to indicate zoom level to accessibility tools. Two possible solutions:

1. Create some generic way of exposing zoom level. This seems like a pretty app specific thing, though; different types of apps would have different behaviour concerning zooming.
  2. Communicate it as a simple text notification. There's actually no way to do this with IAccessible2 aside from a live region, which means having an off-screen live region somewhere. I'm also not a big fan of this because it's very screen reader centric. Still, it's probably the simpler option given the difficulty of doing option 1 well.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants