Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

add an Addons submenu in the NVDA Menu, containing all add-on and add-on settings dialogs #4689

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 13, 2014 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bhavyashah on 2014-12-13 13:46
Hi,
With increasing NVDA add-ons, there are increasing add-on dialogs as well, whichh are present in the Preferences dialog. The Preferences dialog is much populated anyway, and with add-on dialogs, becomes even more populated.
For convenience, a submenu could be created in the NVDA menu named Add-ons submenu, with all the NVDA add-on dialogs.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-12-15 07:09
The main concern I have with this is that it makes add-ons seem quite separate from NVDA and not nicely integrated. I feel that once an add-on is installed, it almost shouldn't matter whether it's an add-on any more; it should almost feel like a core feature. I'm not alone in this view; in Firefox and Thunderbird, for example, there is no separate add-ons menu. Still, I guess I'd be open to others' constructive, justified thoughts on this.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I am not entirely convinced by @jcsteh's #4689 (comment). With the multiplicity of add-ons that we have today, many of which do have settings dialog, I can't imagine how cluttered the Preferences submenu would be with its inherent 14 items+add-on related items. With the emergence of a significant number of add-ons, this move would not separate add-ons or make their integration any less seemless, but rather, this would provide them distinction and the users a cleaner and more comprehensive UI. @LeonarddeR Shall any of the above arguments be affected by the ongoing work on unification of NVDA settings dialogs?

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Aug 18, 2017 via email

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@ruifontes Regarding the merger of mentioned configuration options under one dedicated submenu, I am certain that is covered elsewhere. I think I might search for that ticket later today and check about its current status...

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Aug 20, 2017 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Actually I am ok with the current new cathegory structure. The addons are right after NVDA's settings cathegory which saves lot of time because you do not have to open a new dialog for each addon.
@ruifontes, @bhavyashah what are your opinions?

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Jan 12, 2019 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

closing

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants