Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

unnecessary announcement while pressing Shift Tab from the Find dialog box in Microsoft Word 2007 #4704

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 17, 2014 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bhavyashah on 2014-12-17 06:23
Steps to reproduce

1. Open Microsoft Office Word 2007.
  2. Launch the Find dialog box by pressing Ctrl + F.
  3. Press Shift Tab once and listen to what NVDA says.
    Expected Result: NVDA would say ‘tab control find’or ‘tab control Find and Replace dialog’
    Actual Result: NVDA says ‘tab control find find and replace dialog’
    N the actual announcement, ‘find’ is said twice.
    Additional Note: In the Replace dialog (Ctrl + H), something similar happens, NVDA announces ‘tab control replace find and replace dialog’
    Hope I was clear enough.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-12-18 01:55
What does NVDA say if you press NVDA+tab after this occurs? Does it say "tab control Find", "Find and Replace dialog" or something else?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by bhavyashah on 2014-12-18 12:04
Hi,
The default focus in the Find dialog is the Find What: edit box.
When I press Shift tab from that edit box, my focus lands on what NVDA reads as 'tab control find find and replace dialog'.
I press Shift tab again and my focus jumps to the Cancel button.
When I press tab again my focus goes to what NVDA says as 'tab control find'.
Note that NVDA read differently when focus went to that tab control by a Tab and differently by a Shift Tab.
I press Tab again and my focus goes back to the Find What: edit box.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-12-18 23:06
See above; I want to know what NVDA says when you press NVDA+tab after this occurs. Note the NVDA modifier.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by bhavyashah on 2014-12-20 11:54
Hi,
Ok, understood now, what information is needed.
Here you are:
NVDA modifier key = Caps lock and extended Insert
Announcement on the control which gets focus when we press Shift Tab from the Find What: edit field = find and replace dialog focus(ed)
Announcement on the controlwhich gets focus when we press Tab from the Cancel button = tab control find focus(ed)
Note that despite being the same control, NVDA Tab announces differently in the given cases.
One more thing to note, when I press Shift tab from the Find What: edit field, and I press NVDA + Tab, there is a lag in NVDA's response, as compared to NVDA's announcement's responsiveness in other situations.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@michaelDCurran (Microsoft Office expert) Is the diagnostic information already provided sufficient for you to be able to do what you do? If not, I would like to sincerely request @Qchristensen to intervene by filling any blanks that I may have left, since I believe Quentin has a copy of Office 2007, while I only have Office 2010 on my system.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Ok, I know what's happening here. The confusion is that it probably shouldn't be announcing the dialog name when you press shift+tab. Once you take that out (or ignore it), it's easier to interpret what is being reported.

The "Find and replace" dialog, has three "tabs", one for "find", one for "replace" and one for "go to". Whichever one opens depends on which keystroke you used (control+f, control+h or control+g). The focus starts in the edit box (either "find what" for find or replace" or "enter page number" for go to).

When you press shift+tab, it moves the focus to the tab control where you can arrow between "find", "replace" and "go to". NVDA is simply announcing this:

"Tab control Find" - telling you that the focus is on the tab control, and the selected item is "find" (as opposed to replace or go to).
"Find and replace dialog" - stating the name of the dialog. Arguably this may be unnecessary at this point since the dialog hasn't changed.

Pressing NVDA+tab at this point reports "Find and replace dialog, focused", where it should report the tab control rather than the dialog.

The next step would be for someone to look at the code and work out why the dialog name is being announced at this point and whether it is easy to stop it from being announced.

For reference, I checked the dialog which appears when you insert (or customise) either a table of contents, index, table of figures or table of authorities. Press alt+s, x to open the insert index dialog. The focus in this case starts on the tab control, but if you press tab, then shift+tab back to the tab control, only the current tab is announced (not the dialog). Pressing NVDA+tab at this point reads "tab control, index focused".

@derekriemer
Copy link
Collaborator

Okay, so focus is being placed on the dlg, not the tab control.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Is this issue still reproducible at all? At least in Word 365 I cannot reproduce it.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

cc: @bhavyashah

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jan 11, 2019 via email

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I can still replicate in Word 2007 still, but not Word 365. Since it's most likely that it was Microsoft who fixed the dialog reporting at some point rather than anything we did, and they're not about to fix anything in Office 2007, the question becomes, is it worth us monitoring whether a user is in this dialog in Word 2007 and suppressing the dialog name from being reported when moving focus to the tab control. My feeling is that the dialog itself still works fine, therefore, it's probably not worth the development time at this point.

If someone wants to tackle it and put in a pull request, feel free to reopen and submit.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants