Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Speaking of multimedia keys #472

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 5 comments
Closed

Speaking of multimedia keys #472

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by coffeekingms on 2009-11-10 20:34
On laptops that have either a touch screen multimedia control panel or multimedia control buttons, nvda will not speak the keys when they are pressed or there effect. this is especially concerning for totally blind users as they won't know that they have hit a key until an application pops up, wich often causes nvda to falter for a moment.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment multimedia control keys vk codes.rtf added by coffeekingms on 2009-11-10 21:00
Description:
vk codes for multimedia control keys. this is not specific to OEM. this might help someone.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment touch screen control panel code.patch added by coffeekingms on 2009-11-24 08:58
Description:
this is the patch I've compiled after implementing support for multimedia keys. a few notes: 1. nvda will not speak the volume keys, even though those keys are included in my modifications. 2. there are some aditional keys, such as keys for opening your web browser and launching special applications. these keys are included. 3. you must have speak command keys enabled for this to work.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment touch screen controls for multimedia keys.patch added by coffeekingms on 2009-11-30 08:09
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2009-11-10 21:24
A couple of quick notes:

• It is not possible to read the FN key. This key is never passed to NVDA. It is a special key which is handled internally by the laptop.
  • If multimedia keys are spoken, you will need to have speak command keys on, which will also speak other command key combinations. This is because some users may not want these spoken. I guess we could have a different option for speaking of multimedia keys, but i don't see why these should be an exception to command keys.
  • The freeze is probably caused by the software which handles multimedia keys on your laptop. I've never been able to reproduce such a freeze on other machines.
    Changes:
    Changed title from "nvda does not speak special keyboard keys, such as multimedia control keys and the fn key between alt and ctrl on laptops" to "Speaking of multimedia keys"
    Milestone changed from 2009.2 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by mdcurran on 2009-12-02 02:10
Patch applied (with some small label changes) in r3403.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant