Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

In VLC Media Player, when focus is on Open File... in Media submenu, and user presses right arrow and then left arrow NVDA behaves strangely #4729

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 21, 2014 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bhavyashah on 2014-12-21 04:39
I will not be able to concisely explain this issue, only give a rough idea of its reproduction steps. I request the developers to investigate this further themselves after they are able to reproduce this.
Steps to reproduce
Launch VLC Media Player (latest stable version).
Press Alt to go to the menu bar, where your focus will be placed on the Media submenu and press down arrow once and you will land on Open File...
Now right arrow and listen carefully to what NVDA has to say. After right arrowing a couple of times, begin left arrowing and listen to NVDA carefully.
I cannot describe the actual result correctly, so developers may understand the actual result by reproducing this themselves.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by bhavyashah on 2014-12-21 04:43
As a side note, I was opening a media file with VLC while reproducing this issue rather than only opening the program.
Also, as an alternative to the given steps to reproduce, try this:
Launch VLC Media player (latest stable version) playing a media file.
Press Alt + M for the Media submenu.
Press Esc to come out of the menu bar.
Press Alt + M again.
Press Esc again.
Follow the same procedure as mentioned above for other menus as well, for example Alt + L for the Playback submenu.
You will notice something strange in NVDA's behaviour.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-12-21 23:02
Please at least try to explain the behaviour. It saves a great deal of time and helps in triaging.

VLC uses QT and QT accessibility tends to be fairly buggy, so the chances of us being able to fix or work around anything are minimal.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by bhavyashah on 2014-12-22 16:36
Hi,
I'll try to describe the results.
NVDA keeps saying 'menu' and 'menu bar' and in some cases it says the actual submenu name, but in midway it breaks the speech of the actual submenu name and just says 'menu'.
Its a bit odd to understand, but well...
Also, I'll certainly, in the future, first report app specific issues to the app developers and then reach you all, sorry for the inconvenience.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-12-22 23:04
Reporting them to the app developer first isn't always the right course of action, as it is sometimes a deficiency in NVDA. It's sometimes difficult for users to know. If in doubt, feel free to file here first, as long as you're happy for us to ask you to consider filing it with the app.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by bhavyashah on 2014-12-23 13:33
Ok, thumbs up.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

I can still reproduce this issue in VLC Media Player version 2.2.3 (although I took some time to comprehend what I meant by my rather vague bug report 🖌 ).
To elaborate somewhat, the problem is that when you are let's say on any item (provided it isn't a submenu in itself) of the Media submenu part of the menu bar of VLC, and you press the right or left arrow to move to the first item of the next or previous menu (Playback or Help respectively), the following happens:
Expected Result: Not sure. NVDA should ideally report the menu name followed by the menu item name, but only the latter would suffice as well.
Actual Result: NVDA starts to report the name of the menu but stutters midway because the speec is interrupted by 'menu'. In other words, when I press right arrow in the above example, NVDA says 'Playback' incompletely and then says 'unavailable' and then 'menu. NVDA speaks these individually with pauses akin to stuttering between them.
Additionally, this is not a VLC Media Player specific issue. I just replicated the same with Wordweb 8.0 in a similar manner, and I expect this to be the case with the menu bars of several other software.
This definitely is not the most earth-shattering or life-threatening of issues, but an annoyance I would at least request a quick investigation of, so as to understand the scope of this bug. @LeonarddeR

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@javidominguez, @bhavyashah can you still reproduce this issue in the newest VLC version?

@DataTriny
Copy link
Contributor

Hello,
I can reproduce the mentionned behavior in VLC Media Player 3.0.4 on Windows 10 version 1809.

@LeonarddeR LeonarddeR added the component/qt Qt fraphical framework label Jan 28, 2019
@bhavyashah
Copy link

I cannot reproduce this issue with NVDA 2023.2 and VLC media player version 3,0,18,0 or WordWeb Pro version 10.2.0.0. On arrowing left and right, the menu changes and NVDA speaks the menu item it moved to but not the menu itself. Maybe it'd be nice if NVDA reported the name of the menu it switched to, or maybe that is extraneous given the user has other ways of knowing that? I don't have strong feelings on that either way and that is a somewhat distinct question from the app-specific bug reported here. Feel free to close this ticket.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

On arrowing left and right, the menu changes and NVDA speaks the menu item it moved to but not the menu itself.

This is exactly this issue, so it seems still reproducible. NvDA interupts speech when changing from a menu to another, so the reporting of the menu title is cut and the reporting of the focused menu item is prioritized.
Expected: NVDA should report the menu title when entering the menu with left or right arrow keys.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Closing as duplicate of #4278.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants