Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

assign keyboard shortcuts to common actions in Skype #4736

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 21, 2014 · 12 comments
Closed

assign keyboard shortcuts to common actions in Skype #4736

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 21, 2014 · 12 comments
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) blocked/needs-external-fix enhancement

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bhavyashah on 2014-12-21 09:12
In Skype, there are very few keyboard shortcuts to jump to different areas of the program.
I propose assigning keystrokes in NVDA itself to jump or to active those areas. Examples of such areas are:
Video Call button
Call button
Chat content list
Type message here edit field
and others

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-21 13:55
Actually, you don't need additional keyboard shortcuts for the first 2, because Skype provides them: Call with Control+R and Video Call with Control+Shift+R.

For the other 2 - I agree, due to the fact that the Skype team somewhat broke the keyboard navigation in Skype 7.0. Previously, it was very easy to jump to major sections of Skype's main window and the conversation windows with F6 and Shift+F6. I even think that F6 and Shift+F6 were able to make the focus cicle between the chat text input box and the chat content list, if the focus was in one of them. Now it is not so easy to do that jump.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2014-12-22 00:07
It'd be best to request that Skype improve this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by bhavyashah on 2014-12-22 16:19
Hi,
Agreed, that ideally Skype should have better keyboard support, but:
Could you report this bug to Skype, because 'NV Access' would be more influential and ateention gaining than 'a common user'?
Als, as a side note, I would like to appreciate and thank you for the work going on to improve support for Skype, thanks for that.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2014-12-22 22:57
We actually have no contacts at Skype, and as far as I know, there isn't even a proper public bug tracker any more. In short, that means we have no better chance of getting a request reported and noticed than anyone else does. :(

Kostadin, since you seem to have had some luck reporting bugs to Skype, do people really just use the forums for this now?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by Brendon22 on 2014-12-23 05:05
Hello,

Great work regarding the new support with Skype, it is great!!!!

Try en_support@skype.net. This was the email address where you could talk with a real person regarding bug and issues with Skype, I used to use it all the time when reporting issues. If this doesn't work, they are just using the forems to report issues now.

Thank you so much.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-23 11:31
Hi Jamie,

A friend of mine was a beta tester and had access to an internal bug tracker and we reported bugs there. Unfortunately however, I lost contact with that person from some time and I can't do anything about it. For ordinary users - yes, as far as I know, they use the forums to report bugs.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added enhancement app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) labels Nov 10, 2015
@jcsteh jcsteh removed their assignment Sep 5, 2017
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

here are all shortcuts for skype, which are actually quite some.
https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-keyboard-shortcuts-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype

@bhavyashah, @bRendon22, @k_kolev1985 is this actually a good user experience to work efficiently in Skype? Or are you still missing anything?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

In my opinion the user experience is much better than earlier. And since Microsoft is pushing strongly accessibility, I think it is better to talk to them about further key strokes. Because this would also be beneficial for people using other screen readers.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Should I close this as worksforme?

@k-kolev1985
Copy link

In my opinion the user experience is much better than earlier. And since Microsoft is pushing strongly accessibility, I think it is better to talk to them about further key strokes. Because this would also be beneficial for people using other screen readers.

I completely agree with your statement. I think is best for Microsoft to add additional keystrokes to Skype if necessary.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jan 12, 2019 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

closing as requested. Please feel free to report to Microsoft if further key strokes improve your efficiency. I am sure they are happy to help further in this regard.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) blocked/needs-external-fix enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants