Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Report Skype notifications #4741

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 22, 2014 · 17 comments
Closed

Report Skype notifications #4741

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 22, 2014 · 17 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) enhancement
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2014-12-22 00:25
Call alerts in Skype are already reported. However, notifications enabled in Skype Options -> Notifications (user comes online, etc.) are not. It'd be good if they were.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-22 04:28
In [4b6ad0c]:

Support for reporting Skype notifications.

Re #4741.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2014-12-22 06:53
In [dea0a6c]:

Merge branch 'skypeChanges' into next: major improvements for Skype, but requires Skype 7.

Incubates #4218, #3210, #3506, #3616, #4644, #4741.

Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-22 20:02
Although I'm not fully sure because it is hard to reproduce it, I think that if more than 1 notification pops up at the same time, NVDA will read only the first one and not all of them. Skype groups such notifications in a combined larger notification. The notifications don't have to pop-up exactly in the same time, but at least one of them has to be still on the screen when another pops up in order to reproduce the issue. I'll keep monitoring it to be sure about NVDA's behavior in such situations.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2014-12-23 06:20
As you say, this is difficult to reproduce; I can't come up with a way to manage it on demand.

If you can catch this when it occurs, it'd be great if you can use object navigation to move right out to the top (Desktop), then the first contained object should be the alert. Explore the alert with object navigation and report what you see. Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-24 11:37
OK, I've finally managed to catch it. When more than 1 notifications (2 in my case) have appeared on the screen, I've followed your instruction to move the object navigator to the top desktop, then I went inside it, found the notification that NVDA spoke, but no trace of the other one on the same level. Then I moved the object navigator to the spoken notification and went 1 level deeper. There I've found the text objects for the spoken notification as well for the one not spoken by NVDA. Strange...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-24 14:23
Update: Actually, when I find the spoken notification under the top desktop object level, NVDA sees all (2 in my case) notifications as 1 combined notification.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by mohammed on 2014-12-25 08:47
would be nice if we could toggle this those notifications.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2014-12-25 10:37
You can. Disable reporting of help balloons in NVDA Object Presentation preferences. That option probably needs to be renamed at some point.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by k_kolev1985 on 2014-12-27 09:52
Or just disable them from Skype itself, as sighted users do ;).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh (in reply to comment 7) on 2015-01-08 08:16
Replying to k_kolev1985:

Update: Actually, when I find the spoken notification under the top desktop object level, NVDA sees all (2 in my case) notifications as 1 combined notification.

I'm confused. When you find the notification, without going inside it, does NVDA report both notifications?

My suspicion is that Skype only fires an event when the notification first appears, but at that point, it only contains the first notification, so NVDA speaks just one. When the second joins it, I suspect we don't get an event (or at least it's different somehow and we're not detecting it), so we don't know to announce it.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by k_kolev1985 on 2015-01-08 08:45
Yes, when I find the notification with 2 or more alerts/messages in it, NVDA reports all alerts as 1 big alert. If I go inside it, NVDA detects the text objects as separate objects, but doesn't differentiate one alert from the other as separate objects.

Your guess is as good as mine about why NVDA doesn't see more than 1 alert at a time. Hope this can be fixed. I don't know how Doug Lee does it, but his scripts for JAWS don't have this problem. Maybe he is using another method to detect those alerts (?).

Note: By "text objects", I mean the following. Each Skype tray alert consists of 2 lines of text. The 1st is the contact's name, and the 2nd one is the event that occurred (e.g. that he went offline). NVDA sees each of those 2 lines as separate objects within the tray alert object.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by jteh (in reply to comment 12) on 2015-01-08 10:00
Replying to k_kolev1985:

Yes, when I find the notification with 2 or more alerts/messages in it, NVDA reports all alerts as 1 big alert.

That's intentional, since a single alert can contain multiple pieces of text. I'm assuming hearing this as one combined alert isn't a problem in itself?

I don't know how Doug Lee does it, but his scripts for JAWS don't have this problem.

That was going to be my next question: whether other screen readers have this problem. :) Do the JAWS scripts report the alerts separately or combined?

Maybe he is using another method to detect those alerts (?).

I poked at the code a while ago and I'm pretty sure he's using MSAA. I'll take a look at the code again... or maybe I'll just ask him. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by k_kolev1985 (in reply to comment 13) on 2015-01-08 10:48
Replying to jteh:

Replying to k_kolev1985:

Yes, when I find the notification with 2 or more alerts/messages in it, NVDA reports all alerts as 1 big alert.

That's intentional, since a single alert can contain multiple pieces of text. I'm assuming hearing this as one combined alert isn't a problem in itself?

No, that wouldn't be a problem, but if each alert can be separated from the next with something (e.g. a comma), it would be nice.

I don't know how Doug Lee does it, but his scripts for JAWS don't have this problem.

That was going to be my next question: whether other screen readers have this problem. :) Do the JAWS scripts report the alerts separately or combined?

They get read separately - one after the other.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh on 2015-01-21 07:26
Looking at the JAWS scripts, it looks like they're doing something pretty similar to what my code is doing; I don't see how it could be handling multiple notifications. After the first is processed, unless I'm missing something, it doesn't seem to watch that alert again for subsequent changes. Sorry to question you on this, but are you absolutely certain they're handling this correctly?

Regardless, I did find a way we might be able to fix this, but I can't manage it for 2015.1, so I'll need to file a follow up for this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 16 by jteh (in reply to comment 15) on 2015-01-21 22:52
Replying to jteh:

Sorry to question you on this, but are you absolutely certain they're handling this correctly?

Also, even if it was handled correctly in older versions of Skype, it's possible it changed in a recent version. If it's handled in Skype 7, I'm stumped...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-01-27 03:15
In [f0e53a2]:

Major fixes and enhancements to support for Skype for Desktop, including support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.

Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 18 by jteh on 2015-01-27 03:18
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added enhancement app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.1 milestone Nov 10, 2015
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…ing support for Skype 7, reporting of notifications and message review commands.

Fixes #4218, #3616, #4741, #4644, #3210, #3506.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) enhancement
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants