Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA doesn't speak when erranging apps side by side #4743

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 22, 2014 · 5 comments
Closed

NVDA doesn't speak when erranging apps side by side #4743

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Dec 22, 2014 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by fatih on 2014-12-22 16:31
Hi,
NVDA doesn't speak apps when you presss Windows+period and begin to erange them by holding down the Windows key and pressing left or right arrows but narator speaks that information. Please fix this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2014-12-22 23:00
Windows+period doesn't seem to do anything for me, even with Narrator. Is it another key perhaps?

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 31, 2017

Windows+. does not do anything for me either. When pressing Windows+Arrow keys to arrange apps on the screen, nothing, aside from the command keys is announced. Using Narrator and performing the same steps, nothing, aside from the command keys are announced. This is on Windows 10,1703. It would be interesting if the same results can be found in Windows 7 or 8.1. Regardless, I am leaning toward a wontfix

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Pressing Windows+. causes NVDA to say 'Desktop window', implying that the keystroke does have some effect. CC @Qchristensen to help us understand the working of this side-by-side app placement Windows feature

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I've never heard of being able to rearrange desktop icons like this. The initial issue was raised in 2014 so the original person was likely using either Windows 7 or Windows 8. I have tried on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. I tried with NVDA running, with Narrator running, and with no AT running, and in all cases, I couldn't get anything to happen when I pressed NVDA+., nor can I find any documentation on such a command.

With a window active, if you press WINDOWS+LEFT ARROW or WINDOWS+RIGHT ARROW, on Windows 7 and later, it makes that window take up exactly half of the screen - either left or right. Additionally, on WIndows 10, with the window taking up half the screen, if you then press WINDOWS+UP or WINDOWS+DOWN arrows it resizes the window to take up the appropriate quarter of the screen. Pressing WINDOWS+UP ARROW from a window that is windowed and taking up anything other than half the screen will make the window full screen.

NVDA doesn't announce any of these changes in Window size. For reference, neither does Narrator. While it's something that sighted users can perceive, aside from the information that the window has changed size, for the cost of implementation, is it something that is beneficial to users? NVDA shouldn't behave differently regardless of window size.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Nov 26, 2017

@Qchristensen commented on Sep 4, 2017, 5:43 PM MDT:

NVDA doesn't announce any of these changes in Window size. For reference, neither does Narrator. While it's something that sighted users can perceive, aside from the information that the window has changed size, for the cost of implementation, is it something that is beneficial to users? NVDA shouldn't behave differently regardless of window size.

For reasoning stated above, closing as wontfix.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants