Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Microsoft Lync 2010 causes NVDA speech to stop working on an intermitant basis #4765

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 2, 2015 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Xonic on 2015-01-02 11:32
When using microsoft Lync,I have noticed that NVDA stops speaking after an indeterminate amount of time. Unfortunately, there is no action or set of repeated steps that I am performing to create this issue, so I will do my best to describe it.

I am using multiple machines, runing NVDA latest nightly build, windows 7 64, ms office 2010 including Lync 2010 with latest security patches on all.

When using MS lync, I am able to chat fine with NVDA, by using the tab and shift tab keys, plus arrow keys to navigate.
At multiple points during the day, I have seen as few as 2, and a maximum of 10, NVDA simply stops speaking. I do not have to be in MS Lync for this to happen, but Lync does have to be running. I believe that the more I chat through Lync, the more likely it is to occur but as I've said, I cannot force this issue to happen on its own.

The crash has the following simptoms.
NVDA stops speaking. I have tried this with the build in e-speak synth and an external synth dolphin orpheus that I am using. I have also tried Lync with other screen readers such as JAWS and supernova and determiend that this behavior does not occur.

Once NVDA stops speaking, i have 2 choices. I can either leave it for about 10 minutes, in which case speech sometimes comes back up. Or, I can navigate to the windows task manager using memory, and kill the "communicator.exe" file which is MS Lyncs main executable file. As soon as I do this, speech comes back up on NVDA.

I am sorry I cannot provide more information about this bug, it is a very irritating one and I've not found a reliable method of replicating it, other than to say it definitely does happen on a daily basis. Is there some sort of system tracker I could install to pick it up and report back>

Many thanks.

Ed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-01-06 07:45
If you restart NVDA, is Lync still working as expected or is it frozen/crashed? If NVDA is installed, you can restart NVDA by pressing control+alt+n and waiting 5 seconds. If that doesn't work, you'll need to kill nvda.exe from Task Manager as you do with communicator.exe.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Xonic on 2015-01-06 10:32
I am able to kill nvda with task manager, and when I restart it, NVDA is speaking again. However, MS lync is frozen crashed and requires a restart.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-01-06 23:14
Hmm. That sounds like either a bug in Lync accessibility (which NVDA triggers for some reason where others don't; such things are possible) or maybe a problem with NVDA's in-process code (but that is actually pretty unlikely).

Can you try enabling crash dumps for the Lync process? See [wiki:LogFilesAndCrashDumps#MinidumpsforOtherApplications] for details. Hopefully, it is crashing (not just freezing) so you can get a dump.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 31, 2017

Closing, as we are unable to contact the original poster, as far as I am aware, and they did not respond to @jcsteh's request for a crash dump in #4765 (comment). If this is still an issue, we can reopen this issue or please open a new ticket with clear steps to reproduce the issue.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants