Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

announce typing notifications in instantbird #4780

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 7, 2015 · 5 comments
Closed

announce typing notifications in instantbird #4780

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 7, 2015 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by JamaicanUser on 2015-01-07 17:03
In Instantbird, NVDA does not announce when the contact you are in a conversation with is typing. This causes me to type messages to users, only to get a response as I finish typing. Yes, the user can see if the person is typing with status line report, but this enhancement is a great need. Also, could shortcuts be added to report recent messages, and could we also hear messages from other convos reported outside the tab.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by bhavyashah on 2015-01-07 17:51
I guess this ticket requests support like that given for SKype to be added to other instant messengers, here InstantBird, whatever that is, because I've never heard about or used it. Interesting...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2015-01-08 04:35
Reporting of typing notifications are best implemented in Instantbird itself, since it should be fairly easy to implement (given that it uses Mozilla) and it will then benefit all screen readers instead of just NVDA. (In contrast, it'd probably be quite a bit of work for Skype and the chances of getting it fixed there are ridiculously slim.)

As for announcing recent messages, it's very easy to get to the message list with one keystroke (f6) and to the end (control+end). You can lock your review cursor there if you wish. I guess we could consider the NVDA specific commands for Instantbird, but IMO the priority there is much lower.

Regarding speaking of messages when the tab is in the background, this is not something we will implement, since even sighted users don't get this.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

It looks like Instantbird is quite abandoned, so it might be very unlikely that this will be implemented any time soon.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@JamaicanUser are you still using this software? Are you still having this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I am closing this as won't fix since the application is dicontinued and we do not have any answer from the initial author since almost 4 years.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants