Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Mute automatic speech feedback #481

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments · Fixed by #15804
Closed

Mute automatic speech feedback #481

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments · Fixed by #15804

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by tvalusek on 2009-11-26 08:38
Some screenreaders for mobile devices have an extremely useful feature for partially-sighting users - an option to mute automatic feedback issued during normal device use. However, all commands involving a dedicated "screenreader" key operate as usual, including voice feedback. That means one can silently navigate menus, and when there is an item with incomplete title shown, a screenreader command for reading current item can be used without re-enabling speech.

I'd like to see similar behavior in NVDA - a mode with no spoken feedback on ordinary key presses (including command keys such as TAB, Enter, Space etc.), but all NVDA commands involving NVDA key operating as usual. This could be useful for Braille users too. Virtual buffers should be automatically engaged in form mode when auto-feedback is muted, so that they don't interfere with common control of e.g. web browsers, PDF readers etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2014-12-12 06:42
Hi,
Quite and old ticket, but commenting here as recent versions may impact this request:
Given that recent versions of NVDA allows gesture reassignment (#1532), this may not work as expected. A naïve way to implement this is to check for "nvda" for gesture.displayName every time keys are pressed. However, certain commands, especially from add-ons makes it hard to see this, as some of them doesn't use NVDA modifier at all for major commands (Magnifier add-on is an example). Also, this doesn't generalize to touch gestures.
Thanks.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

This sounds a bit like sleep mode, but slightly different.
@josephsl: Since you commented, what do you think about this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I think sort of a solution has been implemented in Fusion from Freedom Scientific. This works in connection with magnification feature.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I suggest assigning some gestures to fire speech announcement on current NVDA cursor position, current mouse position and current system focus position. Let's say I disable speech by NVDA+s, and then I navigate with the keyboard through a menu, I could press NVDA+ctrl+tab and NVDA would announce my focus. NVDA+left mouse click would announce the object under the mouse cursor. NVDA+shift+ctrl+tab would announce current object at NVDA cursor.

@josephsl
Copy link
Collaborator

josephsl commented Jul 12, 2018 via email

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

This would be a great feature for visually impaired persons using magnification.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

At least the part with the browse mode not being loaded automatically is already solved, you can turn off automatic load browse mode on page load in browse mode settings. However, I think there is no gesture implemented for that specific setting yet.

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2024.1 milestone Nov 27, 2023
seanbudd pushed a commit that referenced this issue Nov 27, 2023
Closes #481

Summary of the issue:
In some situations, e.g. meetings or when an alternative information channel (braille, visual with magnification), the user does not want NVDA to provide speech feedback on actions such as moving the cursor or focus. But they still want to have NVDA speaking on specific request.

Description of user facing changes
Add a new speech "on demand" mode in the NVDA+S toggle command. When speech on demand is selected, NVDA does not provide a speech feedback for actions, but still speak on explicit request.

The criterion to determine if a command should speak in "on demand" mode is:

if the command is mainly to perform an action and the speech is only a feedback after this action, NVDA does not speak. Said otherwise, this command could have a usefulness when used blindly without any speech (or braille or visual) feedback
if the goal command is mainly to provide information without performing any other action, NVDA speaks.
Note: although say all commands move the cursor, they are speaking in the "on demand" mode since there is no point running them if speech is totally off.

Description of development approach
Added a new speech mode
Added a new "speakOnDemand" parameter for the script decorator to indicate which script should speak in this mode.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

Successfully merging a pull request may close this issue.

5 participants