Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA and Powerpoint slideshow reading #4850

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2015 · 16 comments
Closed

NVDA and Powerpoint slideshow reading #4850

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2015 · 16 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by supanut2000 on 2015-01-26 12:37
Hi,
Sorry if this has been ask already, but when I view a Powerpoint slideshow NVDA doesn't automatically read the content of the slide. Is there a setting to make this possible? Or this has not been implemented yet.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-01-26 22:57
Please provide further details, including the version of PowerPoint you're using, whether the presentation reports as being in "protected view", the exact steps you took (including key presses if necessary), exactly what happened (e.g. what NVDA said) and what you expected instead.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by supanut2000 (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-01-27 10:03
Replying to jteh:

Please provide further details, including the version of PowerPoint you're using, whether the presentation reports as being in "protected view", the exact steps you took (including key presses if necessary), exactly what happened (e.g. what NVDA said) and what you expected instead.

Hi,
The version of Powerpoint I'm using is Powerpoint 2010, and no, the Powerpoint presentation is not protected.
What I'm expecting is, once I pressed the F5 key to start the presentation, I expect NVDA to begin reading the contents of the slide automatically, similar to how Jaws works, and also whenever I pressed the space key to advance to the next slide.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-01-27 11:40
And what happens instead? For example, what exactly does NVDA say when you press f5 and then space thereafter? For reference, what you expect is what I (and most other users) already see, hence the pointed questions.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by supanut2000 (in reply to comment 3) on 2015-01-27 12:00
Replying to jteh:

And what happens instead? For example, what exactly does NVDA say when you press f5 and then space thereafter? For reference, what you expect is what I (and most other users) already see, hence the pointed questions.

After pressing F5 or space key, NVDA doesn't read anything on the screen, unless if I use the arrow keys. NVDA would read the title of the slide, but not the body, unless once again if I use the arrow keys.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-01-27 12:44
What speech synthesiser are you using? Please provide a log showing this issue with log level set to input/output. See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by supanut2000 on 2015-01-27 12:50
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by supanut2000 (in reply to comment 5) on 2015-01-27 12:51
Replying to jteh:

What speech synthesiser are you using? Please provide a log showing this issue with log level set to input/output. See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details.

I'm using Vocalizer synthesizer. I tried with Espeak and it too doesn't read the slideshow automatically.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by steverep80 on 2015-04-26 19:11
My experience is not that nothing is read, but that too much information is read, leading me to think there are some bugs to find in slideshow mode. Here's a synopsis of what I've experienced and diagnosed. I am using Powerpoint 2013 on Windows 7.

My expectation is that, regardless of settings unless speech is off, that during slideshow mode NVDA should just do a "say all" of the slide as it is navigated to. However, I experience extra information being spoken first, in the form of "Slideshow - Slide # (Slide title)". Then NVDA will go on to a "say all".

I should also say that I have a configuration profile triggered for "Say all". When the normal profile and the "say all" profile are configured to use the same speech synthesizer, the above problem occurs. If I change either profile to use a different synthesizer, then I get the expected result of just a "say all" in slideshow mode. I've tried this swap with several synthesizers, so I think the issue lies with NVDA.

Hope that sheds some light on finding any bugs in slideshow mode.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh (in reply to comment 7) on 2015-04-26 23:36
Replying to steverep80:

My expectation is that, regardless of settings unless speech is off, that during slideshow mode NVDA should just do a "say all" of the slide as it is navigated to. However, I experience extra information being spoken first, in the form of "Slideshow - Slide # (Slide title)".

I don't consider reading the slide number a bug, just as reading the title of a web document before reading the document itself isn't a bug. However, it could probably be a bit less verbose. If that really matters to you, please file a separate ticket.

I now seem to be able to reproduce the bug where say all does not occur. In addition, I can't use page up and page down to change slides. This works fine in NVDA 2015.1.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2015-04-27 00:02
Scrap that: page up and page down never worked to change slides. We should probably consider changing that, though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-04-28 02:05
In [9ec9894]:

PowerPoint appModule: slideshowTreeInterceptor must inherit from DocumentTreeInterceptor to allow sayAll to work again. Re #4850

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2015-04-28 03:29
Actually, page up and page down did work in NVDA 2014.2. This regressed due to eec906e (#4240).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-04-29 00:26
In [846a9c0]:

PowerPoint appModule: pageUp / pageDown can again be used to change slides in a slide show. Re #4850

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-04-29 06:18
In [56cd8df]:

Merge branch 't4838'. Fixes #4838 and Fixes #4850

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by steverep80 (in reply to comment 8) on 2015-06-04 13:18
Replying to jteh:

I don't consider reading the slide number a bug, just as reading the title of a web document before reading the document itself isn't a bug. However, it could probably be a bit less verbose. If that really matters to you, please file a separate ticket.

My comment went on to say that having normal and say all configuration profiles with different synthesizers or voices set changes the behavior of what is spoken. That's not a verbosity preference; it's a bug.

I should have replied a while ago but it seems I forgot to add myself to the CC list. I don't have time to test rc2, but will check to see if that issue still occurs in 2015.2.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by jteh (in reply to comment 14) on 2015-06-04 23:00
Replying to steverep80:

My comment went on to say that having normal and say all configuration profiles with different synthesizers or voices set changes the behavior of what is spoken. That's not a verbosity preference; it's a bug.

Yes, that is a bug. However, the behaviour you see without the profile is the intended behaviour.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants