Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA + Baum SuperVario braille display unable to get back from hibernation #4851

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 26, 2015 · 15 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by msuch on 2015-01-26 17:34
The problem occurs with Next Snapshots, did not occur with 2014.4.
When the user tries to wake her machine from hibernate mode, NVDA crashes and the only way to restart it is to restart the computer.
Here is a part of the nvda.log.
ERROR - queueHandler.flushQueue (16:24:55):
Error in func handleUpdate from eventQueue
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "queueHandler.pyc", line 50, in flushQueue
File "virtualBuffers__init
_.pyc", line 1262, in handleUpdate
File "braille.pyc", line 1475, in handleUpdate
File "braille.pyc", line 774, in update
File "textInfos\offsets.pyc", line 344, in expand
_.pyc", line 322, in getUnitOffsets
File "textInfos\offsets.pyc", line 326, in getUnitOffsets
.pyc", line 258, in _getLineOffsets
WindowsError: 1775 Un descripteur de contexte null a été passé du client à l’hôte lors d’un appel de procédure distante (RPC)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-01-26 21:58
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that error isn't actually related to the crash you're seeing.

Is this USB or Bluetooth? Also, if you haven't tested with 2014.4 recently, can you please test again to ensure it isn't some other change? Does it occur with master snapshots?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda-old.log added by msuch on 2015-01-27 19:13
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by msuch (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-01-27 19:21
Replying to jteh:

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that error isn't actually related to the crash you're seeing.

Is this USB or Bluetooth? Also, if you haven't tested with 2014.4 recently, can you please test again to ensure it isn't some other change? Does it occur with master snapshots?

The user made some more tests:
The display is connected via USB.
With the master version, the problem is the same.
With 2014.4 it is a bit better.
NVDA wakes up without complaining, but the braille display does not work.
To have braille back she needs to go to Braille Settings and reselect the Baum driver.
I have attached the full log file in my previous post, errors concerning braille are at the end of the file.
I suspect that, when the computer wakes up, the braille display does not wake up fast enough to properly establish communication with NVDA. Just a guess, i don't have the machines at hand.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-01-28 23:54
NVDA can't yet handle a braille display disconnecting (which happens in standby). However, that should just cause errors, not a crash. Unfortunately, I don't have a Baum USB display to test this with; the USB port on my display is dead.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2015-01-28 23:54
Can you please have the user test what happens with master and next if she disconnects the display without going into standby?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.log added by msuch on 2015-01-29 17:05
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by msuch on 2015-01-29 17:13
Using the latest Next, she unplugged the display.
Then , she heard error beeps when trying to interact with NVDA.
She replugged the display, beeps stopped but the display was inactive.
She needed to go to braille settings, sellect No braille, return to braille settings, select Baum to have it working again.
The log of the session is attached to the ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2015-01-29 22:23
The errors are expected (though obviously not desirable). That should really be the same as coming out of standby, but you say there's a freeze/crash when coming out of standby. This makes me think that freeze/crash is due to something else, not the Baum driver.

Are you able to provide a log of the case where the freeze/crash occurs? As I understand it, the logs you have provided are both cases where there is no freeze/crash, just errors. Because it's a freeze/crash, you'll need to restart NVDA and then get nvda-old.log. See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details about nvda-old.log.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by msuch (in reply to comment 6) on 2015-01-31 10:13
Replying to jteh:

The errors are expected (though obviously not desirable). That should really be the same as coming out of standby, but you say there's a freeze/crash when coming out of standby. This makes me think that freeze/crash is due to something else, not the Baum driver.

Are you able to provide a log of the case where the freeze/crash occurs? As I understand it, the logs you have provided are both cases where there is no freeze/crash, just errors. Because it's a freeze/crash, you'll need to restart NVDA and then get nvda-old.log. See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details about nvda-old.log.

I've not yet got the log you'd like, but I think the problem has to see with the Baum driver, the one that emulates Com port through USB.
I have just tested with a Seika display that uses the same kind of driver.
When coming back from stand by, I get no error sound but the display does nomore respond, I need to restart NVDA to reestablish communication. This is with Next version.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by msuch (in reply to comment 7) on 2015-02-03 15:22
Replying to msuch:

Replying to jteh:

Here is where we are now.
She reinstalled the Baum serial to usb driver and the situation is a little better.
Whe she wakes up the computer, the braille display cannot be accessed before she reselects it in the braille settings dialog, but she does not need to restart NVDA itself.
I attach the corresponding log to the ticket.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda.2.log added by msuch on 2015-02-03 15:25
Description:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2015-02-03 22:53
In that case, there's nothing new/no regression here, correct? That is, the behaviour you're seeing now is exactly what you see in 2014.4. The errors are covered by #1555 and automatic re-detection of the display is covered by #1271.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@MichelSuch: Could you provide a status update for this?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Given that there are several similar issues around for other displays and that braille display auto detection has been implemented, I"m closing this.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Sep 2, 2018 via email

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants