Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Scrolling issues with NVDA in Microsoft Word #4852

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 27, 2015 · 6 comments
Open

Scrolling issues with NVDA in Microsoft Word #4852

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 27, 2015 · 6 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/microsoft-office bug/regression bug p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2015-01-27 13:25
I rarely need to open documents in Microsoft Word. I use the "next" snapshots of NVDA for test purposes and have MS Office 2013 installed. I use NVDA's mouse tracking and it is turned on, so I can read text (incl. in documents) witch is under the mouse cursor. Recently I have noticed that when I open a document in MS Word and start scrolling it while NVDA is still reading, the scroll reverts to the position where the system caret (input cursor) is. I think this scrolling issue is a regression from the browse mode for MS Word, witch was introduced recently in the "next" snapshots of NVDA. I make this conclusion, because the scrolling issue does not occur with NVDA 2014.4 - only with "next". But it occurs no matter if NVDA is in browse or focus mode within the opened document.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Just to be safe, enable NVDA's mouse tracking. I don't think this is a requirement to reproduce the issue, but I think it makes it easier to reproduce it.
  2. Open a document in MS Word.
  3. Position the cursor in a place within the document.
  4. While NVDA is reading (e.g. with the mouse cursor), use the mouse wheel to scroll the document.

Actual results:
The scroll view returns to the point where the system caret is.

Expected results:
The scroll view should obey the mouse wheel and move to the area to witch it is scrolled to. Actually, previously and when NVDA is not running, the system caret would follow the scroll view, if it goes to another page in the document (at least I think it does that by default).

Test environment:

• Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit, in Bulgarian with all locale settings set to "Bulgarian".
  • NVDA version: next-11530,7b350d6.
  • MS Office version: 2013.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by mdcurran on 2015-01-27 22:35
In NVDA's Mouse settings, what is your text unit resolution setting set to? I'm assuming it is line? If so I think I understand the bug and can fix it pretty easily.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2015-01-28 09:26
Yes, it is line. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-01-28 23:57
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.1

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-01-29 00:39
In [53a09c4]:

Force the mouse text unit resolution for Word documents to sentence if the user has configured the mouse chunk to be line. Re #4852

In 2014.4 expanding to line for anything in MS Word but the caret would expand to sentence. Now expand to line always expands to line, however it can sometimes inappropriately scroll the document. This is very annoying when reading with the mouse.
Therefore, for now force the mouse chunk back to sentence to retain the old behaviour, until the scrolling can be fixed.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-02-02 06:12
This is just a work around; deferring proper fix until after 2015.1.
Changes:
Milestone changed from 2015.1 to next

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the next milestone Nov 10, 2015
michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…f the user has configured the mouse chunk to be line. Re #4852

In 2014.4 expanding to line for anything in MS Word but the caret would expand to sentence. Now expand to line always expands to line, however it can sometimes inappropriately scroll the document. This is very annoying when reading with the mouse.
Therefore, for now force the mouse chunk back to sentence to retain the old behaviour, until the scrolling can be fixed.
@jcsteh jcsteh removed this from the next milestone Jun 24, 2016
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added the p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jul 5, 2016
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

There is no pull request for this issue. Right? I am asking because there seems to be a commit which referenced this issue but I don't know how to track from which pull request it comes.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/microsoft-office bug/regression bug p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants