Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When opening a new page using Firefox, NVDA often says the word "unknown" after speaking the title of the page #4882

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 4, 2015 · 12 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dgoldfield on 2015-02-04 16:08
When using the latest NVDA master with Firefox, NVDA says the word "unknown" after speaking the title of the page. This does not occur in all cases. As an example, when going to www.nvaccess.org, I do not hear NVDA say the word "unknown." One page where I hear this is www.loc.gov.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-02-05 00:07
This is very probably something to do with Flash.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by briang1 on 2015-02-05 08:33
Not so sure about that. I've seen it on a lot of machines. Often if you wait after the unknown, the page then starts to read Ok, indeed I have navigational sounds add on on my Firefox and just before it really does read on there is a tiny pip noise, which has to indicate something but it never used to be there.
I find also that if the page does not start reading at all, a simple cursor press starts it off, as if its waiting for a keypress to create the buffer. I feel it could be afirefox issue. What version is being used? I have the latest beta of 36. This effect seems to be on 7 and xp, apparently randomly.
As for flash. the latest update from Adobe is quite honestly a mess. It won't install on any XP machine I have and indeed in IE8 results in no sound even if you reinstate the old version.
However Firefox just points out the fact that the old flash might be a security risk.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Aug 1, 2017

I can not reproduce this using NVDA Master and Firefox 54. Can anyone else reproduce this?

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Neither can I. This is too old an issue and it is quite unlikely that this bug still stands. Unless we receive any feedback stating otherwise, within, let's say the next week or two, I would suggest closing. @feerrenrut

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Aug 1, 2017 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Jul 28, 2018

@jcsteh I think this is not reproducible in FF 60 or higher. At least I think it is not only related to firefox, see discussions in #8389.

@netblue44
Copy link

netblue44 commented Jul 30, 2018 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@netblue44 are you available to help others to be able to reproduce this issue?

Somethings that might help are:

• Trying with all NVDA add-ons disabled.
  • Trying with all Firefox add-ons disabled.
  • The NVDA log (debug logging) when reproducing the issue.
  • A screenshot of firefox right after "unknown" is announced

@netblue44
Copy link

netblue44 commented Aug 6, 2018 via email

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@netblue44 Could you please attach the information to this issue. This will help us to reproduce the issue on our own system.

1. Start NVDA with add-ons disabled.
  2. Select Debug level logging from the General settings dialog
  3. Start Firefox in safe-mode:
    1. Push Windows Key + R to open a run dialog
    2. Type firefox -safe-mode and press enter
  4. Confirm that you hear "unknown"
  5. Press Ctrl + Print Scn to take a screenshot of Firefox (we will save it in a moment)
  6. Press NVDA + F1 to open the log viewer.
  7. Press ctrl+s to save the log file. Put it somewhere you can find.
  8. Save the screenshot from the clipboard:
    1. Open paint.exe and push ctrl+v.
    2. Press ctrl+s to save this file. Put it somewhere you can find.
  9. Attach the screenshot to this issue.
  10. Attach the NVDA log to this issue.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@netblue44, @dgoldfield please try to use the com registry fixing tool in nvda menu / tools and then perform the steps 1 through 10 suggested in the comment above. Are you still available to help us reproduce this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

We didn't get any updates from the initial author if he tried our suggestions or not. I am closing this one for now given that the discussion continues on other issues more or less related to this like #8389. If you still have this problem after trying our suggestions, plese comment on this issue and we can reopen the discussion. Thanks!

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants