Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Reduce and correct virtual buffer verbosity when moving by character and word #490

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by jteh on 2009-12-02 22:40
The current level of verbosity in virtual buffers when moving by character and word is insane. Hearing in/out of paragraph, text frame, section, etc. is pretty useless to users. Also, table and list information isn't reported correctly in this case. When entering a field, moving by character and word should read the same way as it does when moving by line, rather than special casing; e.g. "table of y rows and x columns" rather than "in table" and "separator" rather than "in separator". When leaving a field, it should only read "out of x" for very specific fields, such as links, form fields and maybe graphics.
Blocking #49, #319

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2009-12-02 22:45
If we are going to read when entering a heading, graphic, etc. when moving by char/word, maybe "out of" should report for those fields as well. Rationale: you can tell when you're leaving a heading when moving by line because a heading can only span one line, and if it spans multiple lines, NVDA announces heading again. When moving by char/word, you have no such guarantee, so you can't tell when you've left the heading.
The other option is to not read entry for headings, graphics, etc. when moving by char/word, but I'm not sure I like this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment by mdcurran on 2009-12-08 02:07
(In #319) Hopefully we can fix in ticket 490

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2010-01-22 20:24
Bzr branch: http://bzr.nvaccess.org/nvda/ticket490

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment by jteh on 2010-01-22 20:36
(In #49) I'm rewriting most of this code in #490.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2010-01-23 02:07
I've largely rewritten and simplified speech.getControlFieldSpeech(). Mick, I'd appreciate some comments on the approach; I think it is quite a bit nicer. Most of the old functionality should be reimplemented, plus the improvements in verbosity. I still need to fix an issue with reading on focus/quick nav; fix coming soon.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2010-01-25 08:19
Merged in r3493.
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants