Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Excel: NVDA does not read the sheet for inputting values in a formula in a different sheet. #4905

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 11, 2015 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by sumandogra on 2015-02-11 06:00
Excel
When one inputs the values in a formula from a different sheet from the workbook one tries to work, NVDA does not read the sheet.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a sheet in excel. Please see the attachment sheet 1.
  2. Go to a cell where one wants the results of a formula. Go to cell b6 in the example sheet 1 attached.
  3. Press ?ALT+EQUALS.
  4. Go to a cell that has a value for the formula. The variable will appear in the cell with formula and NVDA announces the same accordingly. In example sheet go to cell b5.
  5. For our example, we press plus key to add the values.
  6. ALT+TAB to a different workbook that has another value for the formula. NVDA reads the title of the workbook. Pls refer to sheet 2 attached for our reference.
  7. Now navigate in the sheet between different cells. NVDA does not announce the cells coordinates.

Use case:
This kind of functions where values from different sheets are required are important for the persons who are working in the financial sectors and use excel extensively. For persons working in banking sector, such functions are important where a user database may be available in different workbooks and one has to prepare a consolidated data for a user/account holder.
In some cases a user may have to search for the values from different excel sheets to create a formula.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Feb 11, 2015

Attachment sheet 1 example.xlsx added by sumandogra on 2015-02-11 06:01
Description:
Update:
File updated from Trac
sheet 1 example.xlsx

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Feb 11, 2015

Attachment sheet 2 example.xlsx added by sumandogra on 2015-02-11 06:02
Description:
Update:
File updated from Trac
sheet 2 example.xlsx

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

If I didn't understand this issue, @sumandogra please correct me. To sumarize, the issue is that once you open the edit cell field (i.e. with f2) and then change with alt+tab to another excel map, the focus still remains in the cell edit field and does not move to the excel map. But NVDA reads the title of the new excel map.
At least this is the issue I reproduce myself. @Qchristensen could you please give us some sighted impressions on this? Because I am not sure if this is an NVDA issue. Does the focus really move to the new excel sheet? Because I guess the formula edit field remains focused in foreground and the second excel sheet is in background.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

I think the original example is more complex than needed - I can reproduce what I believe is the original issue with one spreadsheet which has two worksheets:

1. Open a new spreadsheet.
  2. Add some values to several cells, eg A1, B1 and C1.
  3. Press SHIFT+F11 to insert a new sheet.
  4. In any cell on this new sheet, press ALT+EQUALS to insert a sum formula.
  5. Press CONTROL+PAGE DOWN to move to sheet one (to select cells for the sum formula).
  6. Press the arrow keys. NVDA reads blank.

(you can skip step 2, but it further illustrates the information not being reported)

The normal process here would be to do the steps above then either select a single cell, or hold down shift to select multiple cells, and either keep typing the formula or press ENTER or TAB to finish and move to the next cell.

Assuming "Allow editing directly in cells" has been disabled (as this option currently does not work), you can press NVDA+up arrow / NVDA+L to read the current line during editing. This reads the formula including the current cell while arrowing around.

Visually, when you are editing a formula and move the focus to another cell (in the same or another worksheet or workbook), the formula bar shows the formula and the current cell reference changes as you press arrow keys etc to move. The current cell on the worksheet has a dashed line around it (where the dashes rotate around the cell.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants