Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

When moving out and back into NVDA prefference dialogs, the focus returns to the first option in tab order #4918

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 13, 2015 · 15 comments
Labels
bug/regression bug component/NVDA-GUI p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority sightedDevIdeal wxPython3

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by leonarddr on 2015-02-13 20:39
The summary of this is quite self-explanatorry.
Steps to reproduce:

1. Open a preferences windows, for example the browse mode settings.
  2. The focus lands on 'Maximum number of characters on one line'
  3. Tab to another option, such as "Include layout tables"
  4. Press alt tab to move outside the window
  5. Press alt tab to move back in
    Expected result: Focus is on "include layout tables"
    Actual result: Focus is back on "Maximum number of characters on one line"
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-02-13 20:52
Confirmed. Terrific! Looks like another regression probably caused by wxPython 3. Does not occur in NVDA 2014.4. :(

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by JamaicanUser on 2015-04-27 13:58
will the next release of wx python address this issue? it moves to the filter by edit box in the latest version of NVDA using the input gestures dialog.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by bhavyashah on 2015-04-27 18:06
Hi,
This is a rather annoying issue to me as well which I was meaning to report, but, glad to read that a ticket is already in existence reporting the same issue.
I especially keep the Voice Settings dialog open all the while and constantly change my variants and volume aaccording to my background noise since I haven't yet discovered a provision by Windows to quickly turn up or down the volume (instead of keeping the Volume Mixer dialog open always, which due to unknown reasons, I dislike).
If others find this a significant enough issue, I would ask for this issue to be prioritized, for 2015.53, if possible.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by leonarddr (in reply to comment 3) on 2015-07-08 11:29
Replying to bhavyashah:

I especially keep the Voice Settings dialog open all the while and constantly change my variants and volume aaccording to my background noise since I haven't yet discovered a provision by Windows to quickly turn up or down the volume (instead of keeping the Volume Mixer dialog open always, which due to unknown reasons, I dislike).

You can use the synth settings ring for this. The issue is still annoying though. Any idea how we could fix this?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by bhavyashah on 2015-07-08 13:19
Hi,
I cannot use the Synth Settings Ring on my laptop since my laptop's keyboard does not accept four key combinations.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by leonarddr (in reply to comment 6) on 2015-07-08 13:45
Replying to bhavyashah:

I cannot use the Synth Settings Ring on my laptop since my laptop's keyboard does not accept four key combinations.

You can reassign the synth settings ring keys to use three key combinations. But, for further discussion of this, we better take this to the mailing list.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2015-07-09 00:17
Okay. I've finally managed to figure out some stuff here.

It seems that in wxPython 3, if the parent frame is not shown (as is the case with NVDA), focus always gets bounced back to the first control in a dialog. If the parent frame is shown, this doesn't occur. This was not the case in wxPython 2, which is why this didn't show up until NVDA 2015.1.

Unfortunately, we really don't want that parent frame to be visible, but we do want a parent frame so managing children, coming to the foreground, etc. is simpler. The question is whether we can either work around this behaviour or make the parent frame logically visible without being physically visible, if that makes sense. The latter will require quite a bit of sighted assistance.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

LeonarddeR commented Apr 29, 2017

It seems this issue still occurs in the WX Python 4 snapshots (#7077).

@feerrenrut, Would this be something you are able too look into? Especially in the document formatting dialog, this bug is very annoying.

cc @josephsl

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented May 2, 2017

It's certainly annoying, but I don't feel it has higher priority than p2 issues which generally prevent access to something. Particularly in the Document Formatting dialog, those who need extremely efficient access can use the many available accelerators. Fixing this is also likely to be pretty costly in terms of time and potential regressions; see my comment above for details.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

This is a friendly reminder for @feerrenrut to please respond to @LeonarddeR's #4918 (comment) by sharing whether it would be possible, as one of our only fully sighted developers of NVDA as well as one who has worked on NVDA's GUI extensively in the past, to look into this issue.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

Sorry, I didn't comment on this because I agree with jcsteh, P3 is appropriate. I'll be happy to look at this when we can, this will likely require a fair bit of research into wxPython to work out the best fix. Given that moving to wxPython 4 is on the horizon, it may be best to fix this against wxPython 4 since the rules will likely change.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Note that the behavior in the new NVDA settings dialog introduced in NVDA 2018.2 differs in such a way that the focus now ends up at the first control of a settings panel.

@JulienCochuyt
Copy link
Collaborator

The behavior described in #4918 (comment) is still reproducible after migrating to wxPython 4.

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

On my side, the issue is fixed in NVDA 2021.2rc1.
If I remember well, I think it has been fixed in NVDA 2021.1 during the transition to WxPython 4.1.1.

@LeonarddeR could you confirm and close?

@JulienCochuyt
Copy link
Collaborator

I confirm I can reproduce with 2020.4 but no longer with 2021.1
Thanks @CyrilleB79 for pointing this out.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug/regression bug component/NVDA-GUI p4 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority sightedDevIdeal wxPython3
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants