Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA renders 0 width/height objects as frames #4922

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 14, 2015 · 6 comments
Closed

NVDA renders 0 width/height objects as frames #4922

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 14, 2015 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by tspivey on 2015-02-14 21:57
Testing with Firefox, NVDA renders invisible objects as frames. For example, the one in the attached test file.

This is really noticeable on amazon, for example on this book page, where about 200k of js/css is put in the buffer at the bottom:
http://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-Novel-Andy-Weir-ebook/dp/B00EMXBDMA/

(I assume they're invisible because they have width="0" and height="0".)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Feb 14, 2015

Attachment test.html added by tspivey on 2015-02-14 21:58
Description:
Update:
File added from Trac
test 4922.html.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-02-14 23:15
Wow. I've no idea why they're doing it this way. Last time I checked, there was an element for this purpose called iframe. It does make sense for Firefox to map this to frame.

As for why it's being rendered, the parent element having width or height of 0 doesn't necessarily mean its descendants will due to CSS floating and similar stuff. In this case, it's most likely invisible, but interestingly, Firefox does expose an accessible for the text and it does have coordinates, which is why NVDA is rendering it. This will need further investigation.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh wrote in #4922 (comment) "This will need further investigation."
@feerrenrut Do you think we should assign a priority to investigate the reported issue further?

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@bhavyashah Since this is an old issue, can you test this with Firefox and see if it is still reproducible? Please document the steps you took to try to reproduce it on this issue. Thanks!

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@feerrenrut As delayed as I am, I would give testing this issue a shot, but it is unclear to me what control is actually an invisible object but is being reported as a frame by NVDA on https://www.amazon.com/The-Martian-Novel-Andy-Weir-ebook/dp/B00EMXBDMA/. Since @jcsteh is now at Mozilla and was able to replicate this back then as documented in #4922 (comment) and @tspivy, the original author of this ticket, is still around, I would ask them to kindly share an update on the present standing of this bug.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 16, 2018

I checked this Amazon page and I don't see any code at the bottom of the page. In fact, there are no object tags at all on that page. So, it would seem have Amazon have changed this.

I also tested the test case with an iframe instead of an object tag and it doesn't make a difference. While it's certainly odd, the text really is rendered behind the scenes; it's just considered "off screen". Given that the original real world use case is now fixed, unless we start seeing other instances of this, I think we should just consider this authoring error and leave it at that.

Closing as won't fix.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Aug 16, 2018
@jcsteh jcsteh changed the title NVDA renders invisible objects as frames NVDA renders 0 width/height objects as frames Aug 16, 2018
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants