Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Inclusion of Rupee sign in symbols.dic #4943

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 23, 2015 · 10 comments
Closed

Inclusion of Rupee sign in symbols.dic #4943

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Feb 23, 2015 · 10 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by td.dinakar on 2015-02-23 15:57
We are already having some currency signs such as dollar, pound, yen, euro, etc., in the English symbols.dic file.

I request the sign ₹ which denotes the Indian currency may be included in the symbols.dic file. This sign should be read as "Rupees".

I am also attaching the text file containing this character.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment RupeeSign.txt added by td.dinakar on 2015-02-23 16:04
Description:
Rupee character

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-02-23 23:09
Should we instead report this as Rupee (singular)? This is consistent with the way we report the dollar sign, pound sign, euro sign, etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-02-24 14:16
This sign was introduced by the Indian Government only in 2011. Prior to this, "Rupees" was denoted as "Rs." and "Rupee" as "Re.".

Since except for Re.1, all other values are denoted by using Rs. e.g. Rs.100, Rs.1,500, etc.

I, therefore feel that "Rupees" would be more appropriate than "Rupee".

Replying to jteh:

Should we instead report this as Rupee (singular)? This is consistent with the way we report the dollar sign, pound sign, euro sign, etc.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 3) on 2015-05-02 05:36
Has the Rupees sign been included Jamie? What is the present status?

Replying to td.dinakar:

This sign was introduced by the Indian Government only in 2011. Prior to this, "Rupees" was denoted as "Rs." and "Rupee" as "Re.".

Since except for Re.1, all other values are denoted by using Rs. e.g. Rs.100, Rs.1,500, etc.

I, therefore feel that "Rupees" would be more appropriate than "Rupee".

Replying to jteh:

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by td.dinakar on 2015-07-26 05:57
I expect that this would get implemented in 2015.2 version. But, it did not happen. Any issue with this ticket? Is any additional input required from me?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2015-07-27 00:22
Sorry. I simply haven't gotten to this.

Do Indian speech synthesisers know how to pronounce this symbol already? The reason I ask is that most synthesisers already know how to pronounce the other currency symbols NVDA includes and they tend to have their own language specific rules about how to do this which sound more natural. Because of this, for the none, most and some symbol levels, we let the synthesiser handle these symbols. However, because this Indian rupee symbol is so new, I'm guessing most synthesisers don't handle it yet; eSpeak and Vocalizer certainly don't. Therefore, it's probably better to let NVDA handle this for all symbol levels except maybe level none.

Technical: The sign is: ₹
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.4

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 6) on 2015-07-27 14:49
Thanks for the feed back. As far as I know, only eSpeak supports most of the Indian languages. Jonathan has included this Rupee sign in eSpeak 1.48.15. It now reads this sign as ரூபாய் in Tamil, but only as Rupee in other languages, as I could not tell him as to how this sign is spoken in other Indian languages.

Replying to jteh:

Sorry. I simply haven't gotten to this.

Do Indian speech synthesisers know how to pronounce this symbol already? The reason I ask is that most synthesisers already know how to pronounce the other currency symbols NVDA includes and they tend to have their own language specific rules about how to do this which sound more natural. Because of this, for the none, most and some symbol levels, we let the synthesiser handle these symbols. However, because this Indian rupee symbol is so new, I'm guessing most synthesisers don't handle it yet; eSpeak and Vocalizer certainly don't. Therefore, it's probably better to let NVDA handle this for all symbol levels except maybe level none.

Technical: The sign is: ₹

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by td.dinakar on 2015-09-13 05:11
Has the "Rupee" sign been included in the Master, as the milestone has been set to 2015.4?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by jteh on 2015-09-13 07:16
No. An open ticket with a milestone means it's been scheduled for that milestone but isn't yet done.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-09-21 01:21
In commit 699a66d:
Include Indian Rupee symbol in English symbols.dic. Fixes #4943
Changes:
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant