Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA reads folder and file names twice in a row in Windows explorer #4979

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Mar 17, 2015 · 11 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by toonhead on 2015-03-17 22:12
When arrowing through folder names and files in windows explorer, NVDA announces them twice in a row i.e. the folder called Stuff would be read out as, stuff stuff. NVDA also announces drive letters twice as well i.e. Local Disc C Local Disc c, my book f, my book f, etc. I have gone into Windows explorer and have disabled the preview pain, details pain and navigation pain. Also, under the view menu, list is checked. This happens 100 percent of the time, but it's got to be machine-specific because no one else I know can reproduce this. I have tried completely uninstalling, and re-installing NVDA, making sure to remove the NVDA folder from %appdata% so that no older setings will still be present. Even after a clean install, it still does this. I have 2 other screenreaders on my system and none of the other ones exhibit this type of behavior. That's certainly not to say they're better, alls I'm saying is that NVDA is the only one doing this. Any suggestions would be helpful. Please keep in mind that I am not a programmer,so if I'm required to do anything, please provide instructions if possible..I'd love to get this fixed!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-03-18 03:57
It sounds like UI Automation is failing on your system for some reason. Can you please provide a log file showing this problem with log level set to input/output? See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details on how to do this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by Brendon22 on 2015-03-18 12:40
Hello,

I don't think this is the install of windows or NVDA. I have seen this issue on menny computers that I have installed NVDA on. Windows 7 and Windows 8 computers. I reported this about two years ago. I will let the reporter provide you with a crash log, because there maybe something going on on his system, but I don't think so! Please let me know if you would also like me to provide a crash log as well?

Thank you and keep up the great work!!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

nvaccessAuto commented Mar 18, 2015

Attachment nvda.log added by toonhead on 2015-03-18 16:37
Description:
Here's my most recent NVDA log file
Update:
File added from Trac
nvda.log.txt

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by toonhead (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-03-18 16:43
Hi. I've attached my most recent log file so hopefully it'll help you a bit. Thanks.
Replying to jteh:

It sounds like UI Automation is failing on your system for some reason. Can you please provide a log file showing this problem with log level set to input/output? See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details on how to do this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2015-03-18 22:50
The version of Windows reported in that log file is Windows XP, not Windows 7. This explains why UIA isn't working. Is this from the wrong system or did you perhaps mistakenly set compatibility settings for NVDA?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by toonhead on 2015-03-18 23:14
Hi. The only guess I have here is that I do have windows 7 set to a classic view that resembles older versions of windows, because it's what I was instructed to do when I first bought the machine. I wasn't running NVDA at the time and was following the directions I was given at the time. I first bought this pc back in 2011, but didn't start using NVDA until 2013 or so. I'm not sure exactly how to proceed here? I can assure you that it really is Windows 7, and it really is a 64-bit machine, because the path to install NVDA is c:\program files (x86)\NVDA. I'm not sure what to do next? I just installed NVDA as I would any other program and for a while it worked just as normal until it started acting the way I mentioned before. I'm sorry if I'm being any trouble for you guys but I swear it really is windows 7. I promise! :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2015-03-18 23:18
Please do the following:

1. Open the NVDA program folder in Explorer; i.e. c:\Program Files (x86)\nvda.
  2. Move to the NVDA executable (nvda.exe). If you have extensions hidden, you'll just see nvda.
  3. Press alt+enter, then control+tab.
  4. Tab to the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" check box. Make sure it's unchecked.
  5. Press the OK button.
  6. Repeat this for nvda_uiAccess.exe and nvda_slave.exe.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by toonhead on 2015-03-19 00:02
Hi. Well, it looks like the NVDA executable was running in compadibility mode just as you suspected. None of the other executables you asked about were in compadibility mode however. The only setting I changed was I unchecked the box for compadibility mode, but left all the other settings alone because I wasn't sure if I should make any other changes. I did happen to re-run NVDA to see if the problem still persists, and it turns out that it still does. If you have any other ideas, I'll try anything you'd like.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This issue is also related to Windows XP and Vista i guess. @toonhead Is it still reproducible in Windows 7 or higher?

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Seems to me its been years since the author added to this. As current nveda does not run on XP/Vista, maybe the issue was fixed when the Windows 7 and up version went live. Need really to hear from the author, assuming the same computer is still in use etc.

I seem to recall that if nvda thought it was running on XP it disabled UIA since the windows update to add this to XP was really buggy and kept freezing windows when a screenreader attempted to look at some edit fields.
Brian

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I can only reproduce this when I forcefully disable UI Automation. As we haven't received additional reports like this, I'm closing this as works for me. if the problem is still reproducible somehow, please open a new issue and follow the issue template.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants