Navigation Menu

Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Drop down lists are inaccessible in Microsoft Office 2013. #5012

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 1, 2015 · 11 comments
Closed

Drop down lists are inaccessible in Microsoft Office 2013. #5012

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 1, 2015 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by laughingthunder on 2015-04-01 04:18
It is not possible to navigate within drop down lists while using NVDA 2015.1 with Excel 2013. Below is the developer information from the NVDA log viewer pertaining to the control in question. It appears as though Excel is not playing nice with accessibility APIs in this case, since the information needed to navigate is not being exposed to NVDA when ALT+down arrow is used to open the drop down list.

INFO - globalCommands.GlobalCommands.script_navigatorObject_devInfo (23:02:51):
Developer info for navigator object:
name: u''
role: ROLE_LIST
states:
isFocusable: False
hasFocus: False
Python object: <NVDAObjects.window.excel.ExcelDropdown object at 0x05CB7850>
Python class mro: (<class 'NVDAObjects.window.excel.ExcelDropdown'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.window.Window'>, <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObject'>, <class 'baseObject.ScriptableObject'>, <class 'baseObject.AutoPropertyObject'>, <type 'object'>)
description: ''
value: ''
appModule: <'appModuleHandler' (appName u'excel', process ID 5144) at address 5b803b0>
appModule.productName: u'Microsoft Office 2013'
appModule.productVersion: u'15.0.4701.1001'
TextInfo: <class 'NVDAObjects.NVDAObjectTextInfo'>
windowHandle: 1180686
windowClassName: u'EXCEL:'
windowControlID: 0
windowStyle: -1778384896
windowThreadID: 2808
windowText: u''
displayText: u''

Would it be possible to develop a work around similar to the one developed for Office 2003 through 2010?
Blocking #5205, #5294

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-04-23 10:51
As I understand it, I don't think it's going to be possible to support this at all. Excel doesn't expose any information to enable access to these. For earlier versions of Excel, we can rely on text drawn to the screen to detect it. Unfortunately, Excel 2013 draws text to the screen in a way we can't intercept, so we can't use this technique there. Mick, is this all correct?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by siddhartha_iitd on 2015-08-21 08:56
@Laughingthunder Can you upload an example Excel sheet where this scenario could be replicated using NVDA? It would be better if you could share the file where you use this feature.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

cc @michaelDCurran, would you be able to answer @jcsteh's question in #5012 (comment)?

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Did we ever work out whether this issue is something we can address? If it "NeedsExternalFix" we may never get one as Microsoft have fixed it in Office 2016 / 365 so they will consider it resolved.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Well, I have tables with drop down lists in MS Excel 2010 and NVDA 2017.3 as well as NVDA 2018.4.1. Also in Excel 365 it seems it works as expected. NVDA is reporting everything properly when I press alt+down arrow. However, NVDA does not Report if a cell has a Dropdown list. It only reports when the cell has a submenu which is not the same thing.
@Laughingthunder, @pranavlal could you please test if this issue still occurs in Excel 2013? Thanks.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Be sure that you Focus the cell with the Dropdown list to see the list items.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

@feerrenrut do you still have Office 2013 to test this?

@pranavlal
Copy link

pranavlal commented Jan 31, 2019 via email

@jhomme
Copy link

jhomme commented May 3, 2019

In Office 2016, I can hear entries in dropdowns, but when I press ENTER, I cannot hear anything at all in Excel unless I maximize the screen or move away from, then back to Excel. It looks like I can't upload an Excel XLSM workbook to show you.

@Novalis7747
Copy link

dropdown test.xlsx
this is a test excel workbook containing 2 kind of dropdown lists:

1. on A1a data validation dropdown list, NVDA says subMenu
    Excel2013: Excel says subMenu, Alt-downArrow and then arrow down just repeats "submenu, Fred, A1 and you can't read the list content. Escape brings me out of that and I can navigate normal
    Excel365: Excel says subMenu, Alt-downArrow opens the list and I can navigate through the list, but list items are double spoken and I can't escape from the list. Alt tab or double Alt does the trick. Very annoying.
  2. A2 contains a autofilter dropdown
    Excel 2013 and Excel 365: no indication that this is a autofilter dropdown cell. Alt-arrow down opens the list and you can navigate it normal and also escaping is possible in a normal way. Here we should hear an indication that we are on a autofilter dropdown

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

First issue is solved, NVDA does not repeat the list items anymore. For the dropdown autofilter list, there is the issue #6065 which already covers this. I am closing this one in favor of #6065.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants