Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

no key echo in some console windows #5027

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 9, 2015 · 4 comments
Closed

no key echo in some console windows #5027

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 9, 2015 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by domasofan on 2015-04-09 19:50
Hi,

I have no key echo for some console windows.
for example the cygwin terminal, the OpenSSH client and maybe some others who use a console window.
cmd.exe does work fine.
have this for around 1-2 weeks.
i am running next 11808 at the moment.
but i had this with 1177x as well.
when deleting keys in those windows this works well. the keys are announced then.
window output also does work fine.
braille output does work as well the chars are visible on the display.
it seems just to be a speech issue.

tested at the moment on an old win xp machine but should be the same on other machines.

greetings,
simon
Blocking #513

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-04-09 23:54
This is probably a regression introduced by #513. If I'm correct, that suggests Cygwin (and maybe others) disable the console's native key echo and instead manage this themselves. Unfortunately, that means we can't rely on WM_CHAR.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by domasofan (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-04-13 19:23
hi,

that might be.

another example is.

on win xp and others that still might have the second command prompt called command.
launch it and type something.
sometimes you might get broken key echo or no key echo at all.

as far as i can remember i had no issue with the python console before having weird key echos.

btw can someone reproduce my problems or is it just me who has that?

greetings,
simon

Replying to jteh:

This is probably a regression introduced by #513. If I'm correct, that suggests Cygwin (and maybe others) disable the console's native key echo and instead manage this themselves. Unfortunately, that means we can't rely on WM_CHAR.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-07-15 07:41
In [c8a721b]:

Revert "Windows command consoles: support wm_char for announcing typed characters if it is available, and disable our older character handling code in win7 and above (wm_char is better). Also don't allow announcing of characters if the console's input echo mode is not on (e.g. password entry)."

It looks like Cygwin and probably other apps disable the console's native key echo and manage key echo themselves, so key echo stops working in those apps with this implementation. We'll need to rethink this approach, but it's better to revert it completely until someone has time.
This reverts commits daf65862f53f57aec99b115cc2ad4eb54dcf37d7 and 115be898d170b6461b92970239465607a9d2a6aa.
Fixes #5027. Re #513.

Changes:
State: closed

@codeofdusk
Copy link
Contributor

Probably a duplicate of #1348. In any case, this can be trivially fixed in many affected applications with NVDAObjects.behaviors.KeyboardHandlerBasedTypedCharSupport.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants