Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

"Silent" objects get focused in the main window of Skype 7.4 #5058

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 26, 2015 · 3 comments
Closed

"Silent" objects get focused in the main window of Skype 7.4 #5058

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 26, 2015 · 3 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) blocked/needs-external-fix bug close/cantfix

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by k_kolev1985 on 2015-04-26 19:38
I've noticed it for some time, but now it was reported to me from other Skype users. While tabbing in Skype's main window (in multi-window mode), for some of the objects on witch the system focus lands, NVDA stays silent or on demand reports the previously focused object. There are 2 main examples for such behavior:

1. With no calls active, the 1 "silent" focusable object is next after the "All Contacts" drop-down menu (essentially - the "Contacts" list), when pressing TAB. For it, even Narrator doesn't say anything.
  2. During a call (it could be even a test call to "echo123"), the 1 "silent" object is right after the "All Contacts" drop-down menu (essentially - the "Contacts" list), and right before the "My Profile Picture" button. For this object however, Narrator reports that it is a button with our full name from our Skype Profile, and it opens the window with our profile. NVDA doesn't report anything for it and pressing space doesn't activate any button, like it does with Narrator.

Steps to reproduce it:

1. Switch Skype to multi-window mode, so the main window contains only the "Contacts" list and a few more objects.
  2. Start pressing TAB in the Skype's main window. You'll eventually land on an object after the "Contacts" list, for witch NVDA stays silent.
  3. Initiate a call. It may even be a simple test call to "echo123".
  4. Move the focus back to Skype's main window, by pressing Alt+1 (this focuses the "Contacts" list).
  5. Press TAB 1 or more times. After the "Contacts" list and before the "My Profile Picture" button, you'll land on an object, for witch NVDA stays silent.

Expected results:
NVDA should speak at least the object in the 2nd example, because it can be recognized correctly even by Narrator. The 1st one is not recognized even by Narrator, so maybe for it there is nothing that can be done by NVDA.

Actual results:
NVDA stays silent for the problematic focused objects in both examples/cases.

Test environment:

• Operating system: Windows 8.1 Pro N, 64-bit, in Bulgarian with all locale settings set to "Bulgarian".
  • NVDA version: next-11921,33534ca; 2015.1.
  • Skype version: 7.4.0.102.
@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-04-27 03:23
I do see this issue, but I don't see any difference between NVDA and Narrator. With both NVDA and Narrator, both during and outside of a call, pressing tab just after the contact list appears not to move the focus. The next press of tab hits the "My profile picture" button. There is indeed a button with my full Skype name, but that's two tabs after "My profile picture" and NVDA does read this correctly (as does Narrator).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by k_kolev1985 on 2015-04-27 07:06
Sorry for the false alert, Jamie. Last night, when I tried this, I was able to reproduce it as I described it. Today however, it works as you've described it with both NVDA and Narrator. Strange... Anyway, it is probably a bug in Skype itself.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-04-27 07:29
There is actually a focus event here, but it's just on a useless "pane". It seems we block focus events on panes in Skype to prevent extraneous announcement. I tried disabling this and it doesn't seem to be bad as it once was, though I did still hear the occasional "pane" when I shouldn't have.

This tab stop is useless anyway, so I think this is just something Skype need to fix.
Changes:
Added labels: cantfix
State: closed

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/skype Skype for desktop or Skype for business (linc) blocked/needs-external-fix bug close/cantfix
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants