Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA does not report the number of unread messages while arrowing through the outlook folders list #5068

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Apr 30, 2015 · 9 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by pranavlal on 2015-04-30 00:41

1. Hit ctrl+y to get to the list of folders.
  2. Arrow through the list. I believe its actually a treeview.
  3. When you reach a folder with unread messages, NVDA should speak the number of unread messages after speaking the name of the folder / mail box.

I find this incredibally handy because I filter my e-mail into various mail boxes. I arrow through my list and see which mail boxes have unread messages. I can then decide which folder to go to and read e-mail.

This is in outlook 2013 and in Outlook 2010.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by nvdakor on 2015-04-30 00:48
Hi,
That'll be because the unread mail count is written to the screen (it seems, as I can get it via display text attribute from dev info). you can query it manually via screen review, though I do agree that there should be a way to do this via whatever means possible (COM, for instance).
Changing the scope of this ticket (as in category), as it is specific to MS Office.
Thanks.

@digitaldarragh
Copy link

This is still an issue in NVDA 201703 and Outlook 2016.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

This is still present in the latest Outlook 365 and NVDA snapshots as at 30 May 2018.

FWIW, Narrator also doesn't report the unread count when using the Go to Folder dialog. If CONTROL+SHIFT+TAB is used to move from the current folder to the folder list pane on screen (not the Go to Folder dialog), the unread count is read correctly in both NVDA and Narrator.

@digitaldarragh
Copy link

Why has this been closed? The problem continues in the current branch of Outlook and NVDA as of February 2019.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

#2846 has been closed as duplicate. This one is still open.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Just a follow-up this issue is still present in Office 365 version 16.0.11901.20204 with NVDA 2019.2, when navigating between folders with CONTROL+Y. It is still being asked about.

As a workaround, in the Inbox, you can press CONTROL+SHIFT+TAB to move from the list of messages to the folder list, and when you arrow through that list it does report the number of unread messages (then when you find a folder you want to move to, press ENTER).

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Interestingly, this is not reproducible for every folder. In Outlook 365 with NVDA last alpha, I get the number of emails for some folders, but for some others not. I have two accounts,, my private gmail account and the NVDACon account. On both there are folders like sent, trash etc. On some of them NVDA reports the number of emails, on others not. I think this is an outlook specific issue, not sure if these are exposed consistently to screen readers.

@Qchristensen
Copy link

Can anyone please confirm if this issue is still present? I just tested with NVDA 2020.4 and NVDA 2021.1 Beta 3 and Office 365 (64-bit) Version: 16.0.14026.20228 on Windows 10 (64-bit) Version: 2009, Build: 19043, and it is reading the unread counts for folders in the control+y dialog, and in the left pane tree view as expected.

@CyrilleB79
Copy link
Collaborator

On Office 2016 (16.0.5161.1000) with NVDA 2020.4, the issue is still present in the ctrl+Y dialog as well as in the folder pane.
Note however that this version of Office is not the most up-to-date.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants