Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

A feature similar to web flexible of jaws #5073

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 1, 2015 · 5 comments
Closed

A feature similar to web flexible of jaws #5073

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 1, 2015 · 5 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Diego on 2015-05-01 19:11
Hello everybody!
I have a suggestion:
A similar use of flexible web of jaws

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@jcsteh: I'm a convinced non-advocate of this functionality in the core of a screen reader, so I'm a bit biased for triage of this. May be you can share an "official" standpoint?

@Brian1Gaff
Copy link

Brian1Gaff commented Jul 20, 2017 via email

@fernando-jose-silva
Copy link

From what I know of the resource, it allows for example:
On a news page I set up jaws so that every time a news is read the focus will jump directly to the news text, so that I can start reading quickly.
On a page I already know very well, I can ask jaws to remove from my view all the links that I know I will not use.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

In case anyone would like to thoroughly understand what JAWS's flexible web functionality does and how it works from a UX standpoint, please visit http://doccenter.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/doccenter/rs25c51746a0cc/2012-10-24_WhatIsNewJAWS14-L2/02_JAWS14-NewFeatures-L2.htm.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This feature is obsolete now that every browser including Firefox, Chrome, Edge, Brave and Opera provides a reader mode. This lets you make all the interactive elements such as links etc. disappear, so that only the readable content such as the main body with plain text, headings, grafics etc. remains on the screen. This is much more intuitive than the feature implemented by Jaws.

The other part of the request
"having a feature to define a position where NVDA starts the virtual document when opening a page"
is an overkill and not really user friendly. Website designs change dynamically nowadays, so defining a static position will be lost after a while and you will have to adjust it very often when visiting a website.
Also having such a feature will most probably introduce performance issues, for example when you define a certain position where the website would have to be scrolled down a lot after loading. NVDA would have to do this automatically on every page load.
I would recommend rather to use landmark navigation or navigation by region in browse mode, or any other quick navigation command, to find your way through the website. This makes it much easier to understand the structure of the website.

Having said that, I close this request as invalid. If the community insists on ahving such a feature, please comment with use cases and further arguments, then we can reopen.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants