Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Espeak changing speech rate when navigating math content #5095

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 18, 2015 · 4 comments
Closed

Espeak changing speech rate when navigating math content #5095

nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 18, 2015 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by ondrosik on 2015-05-18 17:19
I am using master 1079, MathPlayer 4 beta, firefox 30.
steps to reproduce

1. set your voice to espeak, tempo 100, rateboost off. Set your synth settings ring to tempo for quick workarround
  2. open this website
    https://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathplayer/tech/mathml3-elemmath-sample.xht
  3. navigate the heading level 2 "Addition, Subtraction, and Multiplication Problems" and try to interact with the first math content 496+28.
  4. Zoom by down arrow until it sais zoomed in all of the way.
  5. press left and right arrow.
    Now the rate should increase rapidly and it stays so fast also when alttab to other window. You can restart NVDA or simply slover the tempo in synthesyzer ring to fix this.
    I see some rate related commands in the log:
    "Input: kb(laptop):downArrow
    IO - speech.speak (19:08:49):
    Speaking in all of the way ', BreakCommand(time=160), u'4 ', BreakCommand(time=40), RateCommand(multiplier=1.15), u'in the hundreds column ', RateCommand(multiplier=1), BreakCommand(time=36)
    IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (19:08:50):
    Input: kb(laptop):leftArrow
    IO - speech.speak (19:08:50):
    Speaking previous digit ', BreakCommand(time=36)
    IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (19:08:50):
    IO - speech.speak (19:08:50):
    Speaking previous digit ', BreakCommand(time=36)
    IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (19:08:51):
    Input: kb(laptop):rightArrow
    IO - speech.speak (19:08:51):
    Speaking ', BreakCommand(time=40), RateCommand(multiplier=1.15), u'in the tens column ', RateCommand(multiplier=1), BreakCommand(time=36)
    IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (19:08:51):
    IO - speech.speak (19:08:51):
    Speaking ', BreakCommand(time=40), RateCommand(multiplier=1.15), u'in the hundreds column ', RateCommand(multiplier=1), BreakCommand(time=36)"

this doesn't happen with vocalizer voices and also didn't happen when you set eSpeak rate under 80.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2015-05-20 07:46
This is really odd. It only seems to happen for a small block of speech rates. It might make sense if it happened for all speech rates faster than 100% normal, but at 55% rate boost, it doesn't occur.

Unfortunately, I think this will require some pretty deep investigation into eSpeak code. I'm pretty certain we're providing the right markup to eSpeak, confirmed by the fact that it works for most speech rates.

Note that this only occurs if you silence speech while the faster speech is occurring and seems to revert once a subsequent rate change is requested. That is, if you were to press left arrow from the edge and wait for speech to finish, it seems to go back to normal.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh Does this problem occur with ESpeak-NG as well? Also, on a slightly related note, I often experience this bug wherein ESpeak-NG suddenly jumps its pitch while reading Math content to a point where it is either too nasal or too deep, for no apparent reason. The only way to restore the original pitch, apart from restarting NVDA of course, is to just press NVDA+Ctrl+V to open Voice Settings, without actually needing to do anything in the dialog. Any thoughts on this?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@ondrosik can you still reproduce this issue?

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I have tested with NVDA 2018.4.1 in Firefox 64.0.2. eSpeak, tempo 100, rateboost off. The rate is not changing when reading math content. I cannot reproduce this issue. I will close this as works for me. Please comment on it if you can reproduce it. We will reopen it then.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants