Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Unclear indication of text deletion #510

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 10 comments
Open

Unclear indication of text deletion #510

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 10 comments
Labels

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by Hari on 2009-12-15 15:11
When deleting a selected text in any word pad/text editor, the NVDA, version 2009.1 (most recent release), says: "unselecting" followed by announcement of a word if present -- and if not, announcement of a carriage return. E.g., let's say we have following words written: "my test". And let's say we deleted the word "my", the NVDA says "unselecting test", which, you could see, is quite confusing. Now let's say the text is followed by a carriage return, it say the following: "unselecting carriage return". As noted before, this issue is global, i.e. it occurs in MS Word, Windows Word Pad, Jarte text editor, and so forth.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jeronimo on 2010-07-22 17:17
Changes:
Changed title from "No clear indication prompt on text deletion/removal." to "No clear indication prompt on text deletionand cell deletional / removal."
Milestone changed from None to 2010.2

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by jteh on 2010-07-22 22:36
Jeronimo, I've asked you (specifically) not to set the milestone to 2010.2 on existing tickets, as the lead developers will determine what goes into a release. It is a very simple request; please follow it.

Deletion of cells is unrelated to deletion of text. Please file a separate ticket for this issue against a future milestone.

Hari, I don't understand the issue here. Please provide exact steps to reproduce. If I select some text in Wordpad and then hit delete, NVDA says "selection removed" on my system.
Changes:
Changed title from "No clear indication prompt on text deletionand cell deletional / removal." to "Unclear indication of text deletion"
Milestone changed from 2010.2 to None

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by Bernd on 2013-03-24 01:50
STR:

1. Open Wordpad and type:
    '''
    This is my short test.
    '''
  2. Select a word, short for example and hit thedelete key.

actual results:
In this example NVDA says 't Test unselected'.

In Notepad NVDA says 'T Selection removed.

Here I'm working with Win XPSP3.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2013-03-25 06:14
I can't reproduce this in Windows 7. I'll have to test in Windows XP at some point. If it's not working there, it's unfortunately probably because the control doesn't notify us when text has changed, so we can't know that text was removed.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

STR for Wordpad on Windows 10 creators update:

1. Type "This is a test"
  2. Select "Is"
  3. Press delete

Expected: NVDA says "a, selection removed"
Actual: NVDA says a

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I cannot reproduce this issue in wordpad.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Adriani90 commented Jul 15, 2018

However, in Word 2016, when selecting text and pressing delete, nothing is reported. NVDA reports only the character on which the cursor lands after deleting the selected text.

@bdorer
Copy link
Sponsor

bdorer commented Mar 19, 2019

I'm able to reproduce it on Windows 10.

@ehollig
Copy link
Collaborator

ehollig commented Jan 30, 2020

@LeonarddeR in #510 (comment) I performed the steps you outlined in notepad on Windows 10,1709, and received the expected result. NVDA announced "a selection removed".

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

It seems this does not work anymore in NVDA 2023.3 RC1 or recent builds before this.
The only case where NVDA behaves as expected is in edit fields in browsers such as the comment edit field on Github. In this case, NVDA reports "selection removed" followed by the character the system caret lands on when pressing delete or backspace on the selected text.

In all other cases NVDA does not report "selection removed".
I tested on Windows 11 22 H2 with notepad, wordpad, notepad++, MS Word, MS Excel editing cell, MS Powerpoint, Libre Office, etc.
cc: @michaelDCurran

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants