Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Copy System Config dialog should differentiate between global plug-ins and add-ons #5107

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue May 26, 2015 · 4 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2015-05-26 18:50
If a user has either global plug-ins or add-ons present in their NVDA installation, a warning is presented explaining to the user of the potential security risk that copying such data could cause. However, the same warning is presented even if add-ons are present with no global plug-ins in the relevant directory.

For users who simply use add-ons as a simplified way of extending the functionality of NVDA, I think that the dialog should differentiate between the two. Users may not have a need to understand the purpose of global plug-ins, and may wonder what the definition means. Could this warning instead replace "global plug-ins" with "third party content"? I think that this would make more sense to the average user - anybody who manually copies content to the global plug-ins directory is likely to have an understanding of the differences between the two.

In addition to the above, when the process of copying data has concluded the user is taken back to the General Settings dialog, with focus at the start of the list. Would it be possible to automatically jump focus to the relevant Copy Settings button?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-05-26 23:58
Actually, it says custom plugins (referring to all types of plugins), not global plugins. Nevertheless, I agree this is potentially confusing, not least because braille display drivers and synthesiser drivers aren't actually called plugins by NVDA. I think we could probably just change this to "add-ons", since putting stuff in the other directories is deprecated anyway and it's basically an old way of doing add-ons.

As to the focus issue, that's #4918.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.3

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-05-27 05:30
Replying to jteh:

Actually, it says custom plugins (referring to all types of plugins), not global plugins. Nevertheless, I agree this is potentially confusing, not least because braille display drivers and synthesiser drivers aren't actually called plugins by NVDA. I think we could probably just change this to "add-ons", since putting stuff in the other directories is deprecated anyway and it's basically an old way of doing add-ons.

My apologies. I had only finished performing this step several minutes before opening this ticket - I must have assumed that the words "global plug-ins" were used since that's where they're stored, rather than "custom plug-ins".

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-05-27 05:39
That's certainly forgivable, given that we don't use the term "custom plugins" anywhere else. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by Michael Curran <mick@... on 2015-06-22 05:09
In [eedcef5]:

The warning that is displayed if plugins have been detected when copying settings to system config now mentions add-ons rather than plugins. Fixes #5107

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.3 milestone Nov 10, 2015
michaelDCurran added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…ing settings to system config now mentions add-ons rather than plugins. Fixes #5107
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant