Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

braille in arabic does not display while writting #511

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments
Closed

braille in arabic does not display while writting #511

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jan 1, 2010 · 7 comments
Assignees
Labels
bug component/braille p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by orcauser on 2009-12-16 23:12
install arabic as a writing language, open word/wordpad, switch to arabic braille table and arabic writing and start typing, the braille does not display until we go down to the next line and then up again, cant be sure at the moment, but i think cursor movement is also wrong.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

I wonder whether there Arabic users who can confirm this. Since there haven't been comments on this issue for seven years, I think it's safe to close this. People who still experience this can request to reopen it, or open a new issue themselves.

@mohdshara
Copy link

I don't quite understand the problem here, but there's no computer Arabic braille table yet, so of course you can't input Arabic text using a braille display. Since the lack of such a table isn't NVDA scope I would vote to close as needs external fix.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Jun 8, 2017

If I understand correctly, I think the reporter meant switching to Arabic braille output and the Arabic PC keyboard layout. So, the question is: if you open Wordpad and start typing in Arabic, do you see braille output?

@mohdshara
Copy link

Confirmed.

this seems specific to notepad, wordpad, and windows explorer edit boxes. steps to repro:

1. open any of those apps and start typing a word in Arabic.
  2. expected, you should see each character as you type it.
  3. what happens is that you don't see any character on your display until you type a space. and that's only for the first word that you type.
  4. for any typed word after that, you might see a character or 2 of each word before the space.

NVDA 2017.2, Windows creator's 10 update, and a bronto Braille display.

@Hatoon-fel

@mohdshara
Copy link

forgot to mention that if you move your cursor with the arrow keys, before typing a space causes the characters that you had typed so far to show.

@feerrenrut
Copy link
Contributor

@mohdshara Thanks for investigating, just to confirm its not a more general bug: if you follow the same steps with English input on your setup, then the braille is output character by character as you type?

This is the behaviour I get (for English keyboard input, and Arabic keyboard input) in next Version: next-14098,66f26bb2 regardless of the state of the Speak typed characters check box in the Keyboard Settings dialog

@feerrenrut feerrenrut added the p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority label Jun 12, 2017
@mohdshara
Copy link

Hi. yes, if you type English, characters will appear instantly as soon as you type them. This behavior only happens if you type Arabic text. I tried this with 2 Braille displays just to be sure it's not a hardware issue. Is there anything else you want me to do to help track down this bug?

@feerrenrut feerrenrut assigned feerrenrut and unassigned jcsteh Jun 20, 2017
feerrenrut added a commit that referenced this issue Jun 28, 2017
Fix for issue #511.
Dont block caret show events.
When simplifying show/hide events, always leave the last state change in
the list of events.
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2017.4 milestone Sep 11, 2017
@josephsl josephsl mentioned this issue Oct 15, 2017
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug component/braille p3 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

5 participants