Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

sentence navigation command Alt + down arrow doesn't work in Microsoft Word #5177

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 22, 2015 · 11 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by bhavyashah on 2015-06-22 13:52
I am using NVDA version 2015.2 stable, Microsoft Office Word 2007 on a Windows 7 Ultimate system. Reproduction rate is 100% consistency till now.
This issue is extremely strange, more so, because one in the pair works functionally while the second in the pair doesn't and has some other peculiar consequences as well. More specifically, this is an issue with the sentence navigation command Alt + down arrow to read the next sentence.
When I press Alt + up arrow, NVDA reads the previous sentence as expected, without any hitch or problem.
When I press Alt + down arrow, NVDA doesn't read the next sentence as expected. Instead, NVDA freezes for several seconds, and, automatically comes back to life when I issue further speech invoking commands.
A strange discovery I've made right now while trying to reproduce the issue again to describe it here appropriately...
I opened a new blank Word document, and typed three sentences, where both sentence navigation commands functioned perfectly as expected. I was startled, and, I opened one of my textbooks Word document, where I've reproduced this issue with complete consistency, and, I did it once again as well. My guess is that, Alt + down arrow results in a temporary freeze only in long Word documents and not short ones. Regardless, my assumption is likely to be incorrect, and, hence, I shall attach the document with which I have reproduced this issue many times for your review and thought.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by bhavyashah on 2015-06-22 13:59
Hi,
I was unable to attach the problematic document due to excess file size. But, my hunch grows and I am quite confident now that this issue persists only with long documents.
I tested another short Word document and everything worked well, and, when I pasted all the contents of the problematic document in the shorter document, the shorter document exhibited the Alt + down arrow freeze as well.
As a side note, the problematic document was a .RTF file whereas the shorter document and all other tested documents till now were .docx files. I even excogitated this freeze being specific to .RTF Word documents, but, have discarded that thought now that I've reproduced this issue in the shorter .docx file as well.
By the way, the problematic document was as long as 350,000 characters with several tables and no formatting or images whatsoever.
Sorry for the confusing references and ramblings...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by nvdakor on 2015-06-22 14:08
Hi,
Can you send me and Mick the example document? Send it to me (joseph.lee22590@gmail.com) and CC Mick at mick@nvaccess.org.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-06-22 23:36
Manish, I believe you did the implementation for #3288. Can you look into this (or assign to someone in your team)? Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by bhavyashah on 2015-06-23 10:50
Hi,
Joseph,
Will send you and Mick the example document via mail as well...
But, in the meantime, I thought that since Jamie had temporarily assigned this to another person (Manish), whose e-mail address I don't have currently, I'd share the example document's public Dropbox link as well for anyone to retrieve, which is https://www.dropbox.com/s/yyb8fuf0fgqcub4/CCE%20and%20Social%20Studies%20political%20studies.rtf?dl=0
It is a school textbook, so, I believe no confidential information shall be disclosed by this example document.
All the same, the example document is on its way as an attachment to Joseph and Mick.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by nvdakor on 2015-06-23 17:42
Hi,
I have traced the problem to the following function:
NVDAObjects.window.winword.WordDocumentTextInfo.move(textInfos.UNIT_SENTENCE, 1)
When you move to previous sentence, the result is immediate. However, there is a noticeable delay when moving to the next sentence. Running trace against it (from source code) causes COM exception to be thrown (could be my setup).
Thanks.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

cc @bhavyashah

@bhavyashah
Copy link

This is extremely weird. Using NVDA 2017.3 RC 1 and Word 2010 on a Windows 8.1 system, below recorded are my results:

• Short document: Both Alt+up and down arrow work as expected.
  • Long document: Alt+up and down arrow does just nothing. In this document containing over 600,000 characters (with space), pressing Alt+up and down arrow, both in focus and browse mode, has no effect. NVDA neither freezes nor navigate to the previous or next sentence. Set at Debug, the logg contains no useful information either.
    Can others please test and report whether this oddity was reproducible at their end?

@ruifontes
Copy link
Contributor

ruifontes commented Aug 19, 2017 via email

@bhavyashah
Copy link

Update: Even with Word 2016, NVDA 2018.3 Beta and Windows 8.1, I can reproduce this issue with sentence navigation in a large document. However, not akin to the previously described behaviour, pressing Alt+up/down arrow did seem to change the focus which I ascertained by reading the current line after each Alt+up/down arrow press, but NVDA still does not verbalize it then and there. Now, we do have a separate Sentence Nav NVDA add-on also, but which I have not personally tried and therefore cannot comment on.

@netblue44
Copy link

netblue44 commented Aug 15, 2018 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

I cannot reproduce this in a document with 241531 characters in NVDA alpha-20097,6a573cd9. Tested in MS Word 2010 and MS Word 365. Closing as works for me, but please feel free to comment in case you are still having this issue and we can reopen the discussion.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

8 participants