Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

NVDA reports the text as a heading but is unable to navigate to it when h is pressed #5186

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jun 27, 2015 · 9 comments
Assignees
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by pranavlal on 2015-06-27 06:25
I am attaching a word document to this ticket. When I move the cursor over the text, nvda says heading 1. However, if I use quick navigation, I am told that there are no headings in the document. This happens across versions of Microsoft word namely 2010 and 2013.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment testDoc.docx added by pranavlal on 2015-06-27 06:27
Description:
test document for formatting issue

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by pranavlal on 2015-06-27 06:28
uploaded file.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by bhavyashah on 2015-06-27 07:04
Hi,
I can confirm this issue.
I am using NVDA version 2015.2 with Microsoft Office Word 2007.
I haven't tested this attached example document, but, will soon attach another document where I experience this issue as well.
Thanks.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by briang1 on 2015-06-27 09:06
I can confirm this on even older versions of Word, ie 2002/3 using the conversion system downloaded from Microsoft to change the document into the form the earlier versions of word can use.

I can see its a header level 3 on the last line of the document but the browse mode ignorees it. Could it be due to it being at the last line perhaps?
I'm running this test in XP.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by bhavyashah on 2015-06-28 16:30
Hi,
The Dropbox link of the sample document where I encounter this issue is https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5r41ymxds6ka9z/living_science_grade_8.docx?dl=0
Sorry for the late response...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-06-29 00:48
This text has an outline level, but Word doesn't consider it to be a heading. The question is what Word does consider to be a heading. We should probably restrict NVDA's reporting of heading so that it matches what Word considers to be a heading.

Technical: I think Word only considers something to be a heading if its style is based on the built-in heading styles. There are constants for the built-in styles; see WdBuiltinStyle Enumeration. The problem is that I don't see a way to get this constant from a Style object. You can keep calling BaseStyle on a style until BuiltIn returns true, but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the WdBuiltinStyle constant for that object.

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

So I don't forget (again)... Technical:

• It seems impossible to detect the built-in style used for a range of text in Microsoft Word. You can get to the style object, but that does not expose any property reflecting the built-in style constant. There is a nameLocal property, but this is localized for the current language.

Some further notes:

• range.goto (wdGotoHeading) only locates ranges of text directly using one of the heading built-in style constants (I.e. heading1 through heading9). It does not detect styles based off these heading styles.
  • MS Word 2016's UIA implementation only exposes a UIA heading style for the heading built-in styles, again, not ones that are based off of these styles.

If it were possible to detect the built-in style used for a range of text, we decided that we would only expose heading levels in NVDA for MS Word if the range used one of the heading built-in style constants directly, so as to match goto (used by heading quicknav).

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Incubated in 8352d38.

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

In the end we did end up going with matching on the localized name of builtin heading styles, but by creating a cache of builtin heading style localized names on first use.

@jcsteh jcsteh added this to the 2016.2 milestone May 6, 2016
@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed in 99361d7 May 6, 2016
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

3 participants