Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Update support for the Alva BC6 braille displays #5206

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 10, 2015 · 8 comments
Closed

Update support for the Alva BC6 braille displays #5206

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 10, 2015 · 8 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by dkager on 2015-07-10 10:47
This patch updates support for the Optelec Alva BC6 series braille displays. It currently does the following:

• Detect the secondary cursor routing buttons. They are not assigned to any NVDA actions at the moment.
  • Add more key bindings, largely based on the bindings for other screen readers as described in this document from Optelec.
  • Update the key commands documentation accordingly.

To do:

• Implement meaningful scripts to be triggered using the secondary cursor routing buttons. A good start would be the reportFormatting script. See the Papenmeier driver for a possible implementation. Ideally, it should be possible to call this script for an arbitrary position without first routing the (review) cursor there.
  • Add bindings to change the cursor shape and toggle the cursor on/off. Depends on Options to toggle the braille cursor on/off and change its shape #5198.

Branch: alvaBC6
Blocked by #5198, #5250

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by dkager (in reply to comment description) on 2015-07-14 15:21
Replying to dkager:

This is done and pushed to the branch.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by dkager on 2015-07-22 11:35
One more observation. I've assigned thumb key 3 (the middle one) to script_navigatorObject_toFocus. This is similar to the 'go to focus' command in other screen readers and works in all cases, except when braille is tethered to focus and the display is scrolled to a position where the cursor is not shown on the reading unit. I would expect this script to scroll the display to show the cursor again.

Does this sound logical? Seems a bit minor to open a new ticket right away. Maybe I'm an atypical user, but I use this middle thumb key quite often for this purpose.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh (in reply to comment 4) on 2015-07-22 23:18
Hmm. We probably need a new command, as that command is only meant to move the navigator object (the object part of review). What you say makes sense, but I think we probably need a new braille_toFocus script which decides what to do based on the current tether state. Please do file a new ticket for this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by dkager (in reply to comment 5) on 2015-08-07 09:50
Replying to jteh:

Hmm. We probably need a new command, as that command is only meant to move the navigator object (the object part of review). What you say makes sense, but I think we probably need a new braille_toFocus script which decides what to do based on the current tether state. Please do file a new ticket for this.

Just pushed this change. There's now an additional dependency on #5250.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by dkager on 2015-10-24 17:36
Could this (along with #5250) be included in 2015.4? I'd like to keep Optelec updated with a rough ETA, but anything works for me. I already sent them the list of new and changed commands and they didn't write back with any issues or concerns. #5250 could maybe be done a little better, though.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by dkager on 2015-10-24 18:42
Urgh, just remembered I also added bindings from #5198, so I guess 2016.1 makes more sense provided these other things make it in. Again, only asking to align with Optelec. :)

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by jteh on 2015-10-25 22:50
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2016.1

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Aug 5, 2016

Merged in fb76661.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Aug 5, 2016
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants