Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Windows 10: NVDA freezing on focus changes after a short while of use #5255

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Jul 31, 2015 · 17 comments
Closed

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by mayson on 2015-07-31 21:38
when using my del inspiron rn 14 4110 for five to 10 minutes preformance will start to drgrade with nvda. when first booting up. nvda is perfectly fine. no slugishness what so ever. ow ever after a lengthy period of itme. browsing the web, skyping, and using metro apps. nvda will start to get slugish when navagating the gui and file explorer. I have some light, so I can see when the window is focused. the screen moves to the window just fine, but for some reason nvda will have a big big delay 10 to 25 second befor it says the task name when alt tabbing or alt shift tabbing. also with file exploerer, the same thing happens. I open this pc, then move to the folder I want to open. same sanario hear. the focus on the screen will move to it quick, but yet again. nvda will have the 10 to 25 second d lag delay when navagating to the file or folder in question. I have tried everything. seeting the power saver mode to high preformance and also ajusting viusal affects. I have 8 gb of ram installed on this machine. and I do close all apps when I am done with them.
Blocking #5244

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by tyrylu on 2015-08-03 21:58
On an HP Elitebook 8460P, the response time in file explorer is not as horrible as yours, but it's still slower than on Win 7. The visual channges are as fast as their were (confirmed with a seeing person). The delay is somewhere around a second, when changing folders and around half a second when changinf selected file. It's on Czech Win +0 pro.
P.s.: Memory and CPU load is not an issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by tyrylu on 2015-08-03 22:14
And to add, playing with the power scheme CPU minimum parameters did not help.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by jteh on 2015-08-06 00:18
What Metro apps do you frequently use?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by jteh on 2015-08-06 00:27
I believe the sluggishness in Explorer is a separate issue. See #5229.
Changes:
Changed title from "clearifacation on windows 10 slugish with nvda master, stable and next branches." to "Windows 10: NVDA freezing on focus changes after a short while of use"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2015-08-06 00:30
@mayson, in addition to my question about what Metro apps you use, it'd be good if you can provide a log at log level input/output showing the issue. See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details on how to do this.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by mayson (in reply to comment 6) on 2015-08-06 00:45
Hi jamie. I only use skype and firefox. but soon when I start collegge, I will be using libre office. should I set the log file to dibug warning, debug only, or imput and output logging? Aloha, MaysonHi jamie, I don't use metro apps. but I just use firefox, and skype. and soon Replying to jteh:

@mayson, in addition to my question about what Metro apps you use, it'd be good if you can provide a log at log level input/output showing the issue. See LogFilesAndCrashDumps for details on how to do

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2015-08-06 01:00
In comment:0, you noted you used some metro apps. Is this no longer the case? I assume the freezes are still occurring for you even without these? Do you use Skype for Desktop or the Skype Windows Store app?

Log level input/output would be best.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by mayson on 2015-08-06 06:21
Hello jamie. I use the skype to desktop app. and also the windows 10 stor! and after I close the stor app. and quit the skype desktop app, well, it gets so bad I need to restart my computer to get to file explorer some times! Its logging to input/output now as we speak. I will attach the log soon!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Attachment nvda log added by mayson on 2015-08-06 06:44
Description:
`

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by mayson on 2015-08-06 06:52
hi jamie. the log is attached. hope this is enough info to track this distirbing bug down.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by mayson on 2015-08-06 07:25
one mor thing to add jamie, its also sluggish in ie and the stor app as well, also when dialogs pop up on screen it is also sluggish in that is won't speak as soon as a dialog pops up, such as the save as dialog or any type of dialog, really. it will take the same ammount of time as I said in the discription of the ticket. hope this also helps! Aloha, Mayson.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 12 by jteh on 2015-08-10 04:50
I've taken a look at this log. I don't see any freezes of between 10 and 25 seconds as your initial description suggested. I do see a lag of a few seconds when opening File Explorer and a save dialog, but this is nothing like what you originally reported.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 13 by Brendon22 on 2015-08-10 10:15
Hello,
I am getting large delays in file explorer as well. Under Windows 8.1? I am also losing speech?
Please can be looked into.
Thank you and kind regards,
Brendon 22.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 14 by mayson on 2015-08-10 18:49
Hello jamie. maybe I didn't use windows 10 long enough do you want me to log again?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 15 by mayson on 2015-08-10 19:04
Hello jamie. so so sorry. I miscaculated the time of the lag. it is a few seconds when moving around the gui and alt tabbing around. file explorer is the worst of it. though. sorry again!

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 17 by mdcurran on 2015-10-21 23:59
Major performance improvements were made to UI Automation in Windows 10 update KB3093266 (cumulative update for September 30 2015). It should certainly stop any performance decrease over time. With all Windows 10 updates installed, please confirm if this issue has been fixed.

@jcsteh
Copy link
Contributor

jcsteh commented Dec 14, 2015

As per previous comments, we believe this issue to be fixed now.

@jcsteh jcsteh closed this as completed Dec 14, 2015
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants