Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

change default NVDA voice and variant #5272

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 6, 2015 · 6 comments
Closed

change default NVDA voice and variant #5272

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 6, 2015 · 6 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by joshknnd1982 on 2015-08-06 17:34
Due to the fact that so many people like eloquence, and also the fact that they cannot use sapi5 eloquence right away when NVDA is first started... or some people cannot afford eloquence... Therefore I would like to request the default voice in NVDA please change it to the latest speechPlayer in ESpeak with Edward as the default variant set to US english. I would also ask that the volume of Edward be slightly increased.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by briang1 on 2015-08-07 06:30

I do not think this is a good idea. I think, although many may find the current choice not ideal, it can be understood in many languages and dialects. If I were to change anything I'd suggest making the fact that other choices exist is put forward to new users as part of the first run system.
After r all, those with experience of Eloquence or indeed any other voices, by implication, have used a screenreader before and will be familiar with the fact that one can get free or purcasable other synths and voices, so the fact that its not whatever their favourite was is always going to be true for some users.
I don't like Eloquence and find it hard to understand, so no matter what you do somebody will not like it.
I might just as well suggest that that Quincy is used as default, but I'would not want that to be the case. No I think a more obvious pushtoward how to alter the voice, for new users is the best approach myself.

@bhavyashah
Copy link

@jcsteh @michaelDCurran Could you please briefly address this request and subsequently close this ticket?

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

@michaelDCurran, do you think making Edward the default for Espeak instead of Max is a good idea?

Related to #8177 and #8176

@michaelDCurran
Copy link

michaelDCurran commented Apr 15, 2018 via email

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

This affects only Windows 8.1 users, since in Windows 10 and higher the default voice is one core.
cc: @gerald-hartig maybe you can decide whether this needs attention or should we close it as not planned? I guess the user base of Windows 8.1 is very very low nowadays.

@gerald-hartig
Copy link
Collaborator

If this only affects windows 8.1 users, then I think given that (A) Windows 8.1 reached end of life in Jan 2023, (B) less than 2% of our users are running windows 8.1, and (C) there's been very little activity on this issue in the 9 years since it was raised, we can close this issue as stale.

@gerald-hartig gerald-hartig closed this as not planned Won't fix, can't repro, duplicate, stale Apr 4, 2024
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

7 participants