Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Windows sign in screen not reading in latest next snapshot with Windows 10 build 10525 #5303

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Aug 20, 2015 · 11 comments

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by brandon15 on 2015-08-20 12:46
Hello,

In NVDA next-12463,e8c21da, running on Windows 10 preview build 10525 NVDA is set to speak on the windows sign in screen in general settings.
However, when I turn on my computer, I do not hear speech.

The expected result is that I would hear NVDA say "Windows sign in window" like in previous snapshots and on the official Windows 10.

Thank you very much for your time and I look forward to any assistance you are willing to provide.

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by leonarddr on 2015-08-20 12:53

1. Does NVDA read the screen on secure desktops as soon as you are logged in? In other words, when you press ctrl+alt+del?
  2. Go to control panel, ease of access, change sign in settings. How are NVDA options there?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by brandon15 (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-08-20 13:05
Replying to leonarddr:

1. Does NVDA read the screen on secure desktops as soon as you are logged in? In other words, when you press ctrl+alt+del? Yes, NVDA does read these screens after I'm logged in.
  2. Go to control panel, ease of access, change sign in settings. How are NVDA options there? I cannot see this option in my ease of access menu. I see ease of access center and some other things but not change sign in settings.

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by leonarddr on 2015-08-20 13:24
It is indeed ease of access center/centre from control panel, than change sing in settings.
Have you tried disabling NVDA starting at sign in, reboot, enabling it again and another reboot? Here it works properly with the latest next.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by oaron on 2015-08-20 13:25
This problem is same on my computer too. I'm using the latest NVDA next under Windows 7 64 bits.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by brandon15 (in reply to comment 3) on 2015-08-20 14:06
Replying to leonarddr:

It is indeed ease of access center/centre from control panel, than change sing in settings.

Have you tried disabling NVDA starting at sign in, reboot, enabling it again and another reboot? Here it works properly with the latest next.

Hello,

I did try disabling the option then rebooting. I then re-enabled the option but didn't reboot and it still didn't work, but I can try rebooting.
Also, ease of access center under change sign in settings says that NVDA starting at sign in is checked but after sign in is unchecked, which is what I want to happen.

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by leonarddr on 2015-08-20 14:22
I can actually confirm this issue.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 7 by jteh on 2015-08-20 23:08
So does NVDA start at all or it just doesn't speak anything when it first starts? That is, if you wait until you think you're at the sign-in screen and press NVDA+tab, does NVDA say anything?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 8 by jteh on 2015-08-21 02:22
Okay. I can confirm this too.

This doesn't seem to occur in Windows 10 build 10240. There is still a Windows compatibility block on NVDA for Windows 10. It looks like build 10525 refuses to run an executable on the sign-in screen if it has a compatibility block. If I change the publisher on the executable (thus avoiding the compatibility block), it works as expected.

The compatibility block is supposed to be removed in a Windows update any day now. However, I think we might change the publisher to get around it sooner.
Changes:
Changed title from "Windows sign in screen not reading in latest next snapshot" to "Windows sign in screen not reading in latest next snapshot with Windows 10 build 10525"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 9 by brandon15 (in reply to comment 8) on 2015-08-21 04:35
Replying to jteh:

Okay. I can confirm this too.

This doesn't seem to occur in Windows 10 build 10240. There is still a Windows compatibility block on NVDA for Windows 10. It looks like build 10525 refuses to run an executable on the sign-in screen if it has a compatibility block. If I change the publisher on the executable (thus avoiding the compatibility block), it works as expected.

The compatibility block is supposed to be removed in a Windows update any day now. However, I think we might change the publisher to get around it sooner.

What will you change the publisher to, and will this be temporary or permanent?

Thanks,

Brandon

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 10 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-08-24 02:13
In [0da6fc9]:

Windows 10 will no longer repeatedly warn that NVDA is incompatible.
NVDA now functions on the sign-in screen as expected in Windows 10 build 10525.

The Windows compatibility block should be removed in a Windows Update any day now, but it looks like this may not be available in time for NVDA 2015.3. Aside from the annoying notifications, Windows build 10525 seems to stop apps with compatibility blocks from running on the sign-in screen.
To work around this, the publisher has been changed for official builds so that the compatibility block doesn't match.
The real change is actually on the build server, not in NVDA itself. This is just an empty commit to denote the change.
Fixes #5253, #5303.

Changes:
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 11 by jteh on 2015-08-24 02:15
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.3

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.3 milestone Nov 10, 2015
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
NVDA now functions on the sign-in screen as expected in Windows 10 build 10525.

The Windows compatibility block should be removed in a Windows Update any day now, but it looks like this may not be available in time for NVDA 2015.3. Aside from the annoying notifications, Windows build 10525 seems to stop apps with compatibility blocks from running on the sign-in screen.
To work around this, the publisher has been changed for official builds so that the compatibility block doesn't match.
The real change is actually on the build server, not in NVDA itself. This is just an empty commit to denote the change.
Fixes #5253, #5303.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

1 participant