Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Office 2010: Notification of Browse/Focus Modes when Firefox regains Focus #5356

Open
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 13, 2015 · 9 comments
Assignees
Labels
app/microsoft-office p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by elliott94 on 2015-09-13 16:40
Since the ability to switch to Browse Mode in Office-based applications was introduced, an intresting situation now occurs. STR:

1. Open a blank document in Microsoft Word.
  2. Toggle to Browse Mode; if enabled, the user should audibly receive a notification of the new state.
  3. Toggle back to Focus Mode; the default mode that is used when a new document is opened.
  4. Switch focus away from the Word document, and then allow the window to regain focus.

Result: NVDA outputs the sound used to notify the user that they are in Focus Mode. it's important to note that this is also the case if Browse Mode was the last state that was chosen before switching focus away from the window.

I realise that technically this is the expected behaviour; after all, NVDA is simply conveying the state of mode to the user. That said, this is inconsistent with the behaviour that can be observed in web browsers, where the state of mode is only given when Focus Mode has previously been selected and the window regains focus. In addition, when browsing a large document (by heading for example) and several hours are then spent editing its content, the audible sound that is output by NVDA becomes somewhat annoying. Does anybody have any ideas as to how this issue should be approached, or should we simply do the reverse of the current browser behaviour and only announce if Browse Mode has been selected when the window in question regains focus?

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-09-17 12:02
I can't reproduce this. I start Word, switch to browse mode, switch to focus mode, then alt+tab out. When I alt+tab back in, I hear no sound. Are you saying you hear another focus mode sound at that point? If so, the first thing is to try restarting with add-ons disabled to see if an add-on is misbehaving.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-09-18 09:07
Replying to jteh:

I can't reproduce this. I start Word, switch to browse mode, switch to focus mode, then alt+tab out. When I alt+tab back in, I hear no sound. Are you saying you hear another focus mode sound at that point? If so, the first thing is to try restarting with add-ons disabled to see if an add-on is misbehaving.

I apologise; it appears that Firefox is necessary to see this behaviour. To that end, these steps should work to replicate the issue:

1. Open Word, and switch to Browse Mode. Then, immediately switch back to Focus Mode.
  2. If not already open, launch a fresh copy of Firefox. When launched, you should hear the sound that signifies that you are now in Browse Mode.

The issue with this behaviour is that as soon as the open Word document regains focus, depending on the state of Browse/Focus modes in Firefox a sound will play. For example, if in Focus Mode in Word and you want to browse a web page in Firefox using Browse Mode, every time that Firefox regains focus a sound is played.

Again, apologies; I realise that I should have tested this combination properly before opening this ticket.
Changes:
Changed title from "Office 2010: Notification of Browse/Focus Modes when Window regains Focus" to "Office 2010: Notification of Browse/Focus Modes when Firefox regains Focus"

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh on 2015-09-18 10:33
Yes, the decision as to whether to report the mode is global. The idea is that if you were previously in focus mode, you should know that you're switching to browse mode (even for a different document), since you might have forgotten what mode you left that document in. Imagine filling a form in focus mode, switching to a browse mode document and then switching back to the form. It's important for you to know that you're in focus mode, since otherwise, you might try to use browse mode commands. You should find taht this behaviour is consistent between both Word and web browsers.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by bhavyashah on 2015-09-18 10:37
Hi,
Eliot,
Although I cannot provide a solid solution for your requirement, a possible work around would be to disable sounds indicating focus and browse mode and enabling speech feedback instead, at least when you are editing large documents and must constantly switch between Word and Firefox...

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by elliott94 (in reply to comment 4) on 2015-09-18 14:04
Replying to jteh:

Yes, the decision as to whether to report the mode is global. The idea is that if you were previously in focus mode, you should know that you're switching to browse mode (even for a different document), since you might have forgotten what mode you left that document in. Imagine filling a form in focus mode, switching to a browse mode document and then switching back to the form. It's important for you to know that you're in focus mode, since otherwise, you might try to use browse mode commands. You should find taht this behaviour is consistent between both Word and web browsers.

This makes sense, but isn't consistent with the behaviour that I'm experiencing. If I simply open a Word document and never switch to Browse Mode but switch to an open Firefox window, the state of which mode I'm in isn't reported - this is the case no matter which mode is currently active in Firefox. This only occurs if I switch to Browse Mode in Word at least once.

Replying to bhavyashah:

Hi,

Eliot,

Although I cannot provide a solid solution for your requirement, a possible work around would be to disable sounds indicating focus and browse mode and enabling speech feedback instead, at least when you are editing large documents and must constantly switch between Word and Firefox...

Hi, thank you for the suggestion. Whilst this would work as a shortterm solution, I'd prefer not having to do this; in addition, I don't think an option exists to allow you to have any other prompt other than sound for this setting, unless Braille/speech feedback is given if the audio option is disabled. That said, it could simply be the case that I'm not understanding why feedback is returned in this particular situation.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 6 by jteh on 2015-09-18 20:49
Oh. That's because when you first open Word, browse mode actually isn't engaged at all, which means there's no focus mode. We "lazily" engage browse mode only once the user needs it. Still, I can see why this would be confusing, so we might at least need to fake focus mode or something.

@LeonarddeR
Copy link
Collaborator

Labelling this p4, as though the behaviour is a bit inconsistent and might be confusing, it does not impact the user experience in a major or disruptive way.

@LeonarddeR LeonarddeR added p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority and removed enhancement labels Feb 17, 2018
@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

@elliott94 can you still reproduce it? Actually it only ocurs if you have two applications open which both support browse mode and focus mode. If one of them is in focus mode and the other one in browse mode, then you will get these sounds while switching the windows. But if both are in browse mode or focus mode, no sound is played. I am testing with NVDA Alpha 16691,10590C87 on Windows 10 with MS Word 2016 and Firefox 64.0.2.

@Adriani90
Copy link
Collaborator

Actually, I should have read the whole discussion before commenting. :) the issue is still occuring.

Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
app/microsoft-office p5 https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/blob/master/projectDocs/issues/triage.md#priority
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

4 participants