Skip to content
New issue

Have a question about this project? Sign up for a free GitHub account to open an issue and contact its maintainers and the community.

By clicking “Sign up for GitHub”, you agree to our terms of service and privacy statement. We’ll occasionally send you account related emails.

Already on GitHub? Sign in to your account

Character description feature not working #5375

Closed
nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 20, 2015 · 5 comments
Closed

Character description feature not working #5375

nvaccessAuto opened this issue Sep 20, 2015 · 5 comments
Assignees
Labels
bug/regression bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Milestone

Comments

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link

Reported by td.dinakar on 2015-09-20 10:25
In NVDA 2015.3, if I use the English interface, character description feature is not working for Tamil language and if I switch to Tamil interface, the same is not working for English characters in upper case. However, there is no problem while using the character description feature to identify lower case English characters. WhenI press the numpad 2 key twice, it just says the character and not its description.

The condition is the same when the check box 'Automatic language switching (when supported' in voice settings dialog is checked or not.

This issue is only in the current version and was not witnessed in the previous versions released recently.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 1 by jteh on 2015-09-20 11:18
When using English as interface language, are you using a Tamil voice and do you have "Trust voice's language when processing characters and symbols" enabled? If you aren't doing both of those, Tamil character descriptions won't work because NVDA doesn't know to use the Tamil language data.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 2 by td.dinakar (in reply to comment 1) on 2015-09-20 13:43
Yes. You are right. Though I had used Tamil voice, I had not enabled the "Trust voice language when processing characters/symbols" check box. After enabling, character description now works correctly for Tamil in English interface.

Now, I notice that character description is not working with Tamil voice for English capital letters both in Tamil and English interface.

Replying to jteh:

When using English as interface language, are you using a Tamil voice and do you have "Trust voice's language when processing characters and symbols" enabled? If you aren't doing both of those, Tamil character descriptions won't work because NVDA doesn't know to use the Tamil language data.

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 3 by jteh (in reply to comment 2) on 2015-09-20 22:34
Replying to td.dinakar:

Now, I notice that character description is not working with Tamil voice for English capital letters both in Tamil and English interface.

This is because Tamil has been declared as a language with conjunct characters (#5138) and we don't convert characters to lower case before processing in that case.

@siddhartha_iitd, can you think of any reason we shouldn't try converting to lower case (at least for single characters) in speech.getCharDescListFromText? Is this likely to break anything for Indic languages with conjuncts? I don't think so, but thought I'd check.
Changes:
Milestone changed from None to 2015.4

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 4 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-10-19 06:25
In commit 8dbd961:
Merge branch 't5375' into next

Incubates #5375.
Changes:
Added labels: incubating

@nvaccessAuto
Copy link
Author

Comment 5 by James Teh <jamie@... on 2015-11-01 22:23
In commit 9ee4270:
In languages with conjunct characters, character descriptions now work as expected for upper case English characters.

Fixes #5375.
Changes:
Removed labels: incubating
State: closed

@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation bug/regression labels Nov 10, 2015
@nvaccessAuto nvaccessAuto added this to the 2015.4 milestone Nov 10, 2015
jcsteh added a commit that referenced this issue Nov 23, 2015
…k as expected for upper case English characters.

Fixes #5375.
Sign up for free to join this conversation on GitHub. Already have an account? Sign in to comment
Labels
bug/regression bug component/i18n existing localisations or internationalisation
Projects
None yet
Development

No branches or pull requests

2 participants